From: Arti Singh on
I feel quite silly asking this question, but here I am. I have what I
believe to be a 2 dimensional array, but I can not access the elements
in the array with the array syntax array[1][0] when I select the first
element in the array with array.first or array[1], I get
array[["first","first value"]] but I am not able to access the string
"first" or the string "first value"

my array looks like :
[["first","first value"]]
[["second","second value"]]
[["third","third value"]]
[["third","third value"]]
[["fifth","fifth value"]]

How can I get the elements in this array? am I missing something here?

From: James on

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 10:11 AM, Arti Singh <arti.p.singh(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> I feel quite silly asking this question, but here I am. I have what I
> believe to be a 2 dimensional array, but I can not access the elements
> in the array with the array syntax array[1][0] when I select the first
> element in the array with array.first or array[1], I get
> array[["first","first value"]] but I am not able to access the string
> "first" or the string "first value"
>
> my array looks like :
> [["first","first value"]]
> [["second","second value"]]
> [["third","third value"]]
> [["third","third value"]]
> [["fifth","fifth value"]]
>
> How can I get the elements in this array? am I missing something here?
>
> You don't need double brackets to declare an array.

["first","first value"]
["second","second value"]
["third","third value"]
["third","third value"]
["fifth","fifth value"]

You declared an invalid multidimensional array. To declare a
multidimensional array:

[["first","first value"], ["second","second value"], ["third","third
value"], ["third","third value"], ["fifth","fifth value"]]

Your multidimensional array looks like this:
[["first","first value"]]

The second set of brackets are closing off the first multidimensional array.
At that point, you're trying to access array[1][0], but there's only a
zeroeth element. Remember: the first element in any array is at offset 0, so
to access the first element of this multidimensional array: array[0][0]

Make sense?

James

If you're declaring a multid