From: JPL on
I had already tried this; it was not the problem.

From: JPL on
Tom,

Thanks.

I had of course Googled for it, but without the malware tag, and found
nothing helpful.

From your search I found a link to an article suggesting the use of
Sysinternals RegDelNull.exe, and using this (RegDellNull
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Xanthic) it took only a few seconds to remove the rogue key.

I had not realised that RegEdit is unable to process keys containing nulls.

JPL