From: bruce barker on
one issue with using state server rather than sqlserver state, is memory
usage. if there is too much, the stateserver can only throw errors. if
it gets a fatal error, it a recycle and all session data is lost.

you should be using 64bit also.

you should check the size of you session data, there is now real method,
but you can serialize to a binary buffer, and check the buffer size to
get an idea. if the data is too large you may be getting network errors,
which i suspect is the real problem. have your network people do traces
at the busy time and look for network timeouts and lost connection.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)