From: infinite jest on
On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 04:26:23 -0800, Bruce wrote:

> Hello -- I'm running Windows 2000, MS Office 2003 Professional, and
> Office Compatibility Pack. My system has been running quite stable. In
> conducting the March Microsoft Updates, it updated with the following
> files:
>
> Security Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB978380) Update
> for the 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB977724) Update for Microsoft
> Office Outlook 2003 Junk Email Filter (KB979771) Security Update for
> Microsoft Office Excel 2003 (KB978474) Windows Malicious Software
> Removal Tool - March 2010 (KB890830)
>
> After conducting this update, I find that when I attempt to open a .docx
> file, I get "There was an error opening the file." error message. I
> went into Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel, but was unable to find
> KB977724 listed. I tried removing the Office 2007 Compatibility Pack
> and downloading it/installing it fresh, but to no avail.

> Thank you.
>
> ---
> frmsrcurl: http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/

Same here:
W2k
MS Office 2003 Professional
Office 2007 Compatibility Pack

Failures appeared immediately upon installing this month's patches, which
included updates to the Office Compatibility Pack.

This bug manifests on only the computers on the network which have not
been upgraded to Windows XP. The XP computers on the network with the
same software installed are not affected.

Watching this thread and hoping for a solution.