From: Haggis on
For about 2 months now, I have been unable to update to my Windows XP.

The error codes I receive are:

8007010B and 643.

Can any *real* person help?

I have run all my "cleanup" and "virus infection" programmes - I am virus
free.

I have defraged.

I have done (almost) everything.

Cheers (frustrated microsoft user)

From: MowGreen [MVP] on
8007010B ERROR_DIRECTORY
The directory name is invalid.

Could possibly be attributable to the removal of a directory, registry
setting or required files for comparison of versions due to a 'cleanup
programme'.
If you have 'about 2 months' of backups from said programme, then see if
restoring a backup from before the issue appeared resolves the isssue.
Office and .NET framework updates frequently result in a generic
installation failure error code, 0643, as a result of indiscriminate use
of said 'cleanup programmes'.

If that's not applicable, please attempt another visit to Windows Update
now. When/if that fails, close Internet Explorer.
Go to Start > Run > type or copy and paste the below into the Open: line
and then click OK or press Enter

%windir%\windowsupdate.log

Scroll all the way to the *bottom* of the log
Copy and past the last 50 or so lines of the log into your reply, please.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten