From: Vin on
Thank you Nepatsfan, this was really useful.
I am not surprised to see so many people want to uninstall this piece. I
hope Micorsoft is listening.
From: Bickford Schmeckler on
MS is not listening, especially since they're killing this nttp newsgroup
from their servers.

And, since it's a peer-to-peer newsgroup, they never listened.

From: Eldorado on
works well ,

Thanks from IT TEAM DORIS

"Nepatsfan" wrote:

> First off, in Control Panel -> Folder Options, is "Show hidden files and
> folders" selected in the Advanced settings box on the View page?
>
> If it is and you still can't find the $NtUninstallKB940157$ folder, let's see if
> the following helps.
>
> Go to Start and click on Run.
> In the Run box, enter regedit.exe.
> In the Registry editor, click on the + signs in the left hand pane to navigate
> to the following registry key.
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows XP\SP3\KB940157
>
> Right click on this key and select Delete from the menu.
>
> Do the same for this key.
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\KB940157
>
> Once you deleted these two keys, close the registry editor. Next, reinstall
> Windows Search 4.0. Check in Add or Remove programs to see if it is now listed.
> If not, look for the $NtUninstallKB940157$ folder in C:\Windows.
>
> Note: It's a good idea to create a restore point before editing the registry.
> System Restore can be launched from the Start menu through All Programs ->
> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore.
>
> Note: Post back if you're not comfortable editing the registry.
>
> Good luck
>
> Nepatsfan
>

> "Pseu" <Pseu(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello Nepatsfan,
> >
> > The folder named $NtUninstallKB940157$ is not present in C:\WINDOWS. After
> > checking C:\WINDOWS, I reinstalled Windows Search 4.0 for Windows XP
> > (KB940157) and rebooted. Unfortunately, it still does not show in Add/Remove
> > or in C:\WINDOWS. Windows Search 4.0 still functions okay. Do you have any
> > other suggestions?
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Pseu.
> >
> > "Nepatsfan" wrote:
> >
> >> "Pseu" <Pseu(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> One option would be to install Windows Search again to see if an entry is
> >> added
> >> to the list in Add or Remove Programs.
> >>
> >> You could also look in your C:\Windows folder for a folder named
> >> $NtUninstallKB940157$. Open this folder and look for a folder named spuninst.
> >> Within the spuninst folder you should find a file named spuninst.exe. Running
> >> this file should manually uninstall Windows Search. Note: You need to have
> >> configured Windows to display hidden file and folders through the Folder
> >> applet in Control Panel in order to see the $NtUninstallKB940157$ folder.
> >>
> >> Good luck
> >>
> >> Nepatsfan

Pages: 1
Prev: Folder Options not taking effect