From: Lakshmanan Muthukrishnan on
I am a beginner in ruby and I have read the "Unit testing" chapter in
Programming Ruby book. I want to study Unit testing using ruby in much
more detail.

Can somebody point me towards a good resource for that ?

thanks

From: Rick DeNatale on
On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 12:40 AM, Lakshmanan Muthukrishnan
<lakshmanan(a)vinsol.com> wrote:
> I am a beginner in ruby and I have read the "Unit testing" chapter in
> Programming Ruby book. I want to study Unit testing using ruby in much
> more detail.
>
> Can somebody point me towards a good resource for that ?

you might want to google for a few terms related to that like

TDD (or test driven design)
or
BDD (behavior driven design)

I'd recommend "The RSpec book" from the Pragmatic Programmers which is
currently in the last stages of their beta program, which means that
you can buy the book as a PDF and optionally get the printed book when
available.

http://pragprog.com/titles/achbd/the-rspec-book

As the name implies the book covers rspec rather than test::unit.
RSpec has become a very popular alternative to test::unit for many
Rubyists. It also covers Cucumber which is a higher level framework
for writing user-level specifications/acceptance tests. The pair work
very well in combination.

There's also another pragmatic programmers title in beta "Rails Test
Prescriptions" by Noel Rappin.

http://pragprog.com/titles/nrtest/rails-test-prescriptions

This was a self-published book, which focused more on Test::Unit, but
included material on RSpec/Cucumber. It's been picked up as a title
by the prags, I believe that it's more focused on Rails than the RSpec
book, which covers the use of RSpec/Cucumber with Rails apps in the
context of doing BDD in Ruby, whereas the Rappin book looks like it
covers the use of RSpec and Cucumber as an extension of the Test::Unit
based testing framework in Rails.

HTH

--
Rick DeNatale

Github: http://github.com/rubyredrick
Twitter: @RickDeNatale

From: Rein Henrichs on
An oldie but still a goodie is Kent Beck's Test Driven Development By
Example. The examples are not in Ruby but they translate well and the
book as a whole provides a strong foundation for TDD and testing in
general.

--
Rein Henrichs
http://puppetlabs.com

From: Rick DeNatale on
On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 1:16 PM, Josh Cheek <josh.cheek(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 6:37 AM, Rick DeNatale <rick.denatale(a)gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> I'd recommend "The RSpec book" from the Pragmatic Programmers which is
>> currently in the last stages of their beta program, which means that
>> you can buy the book as a PDF and optionally get the printed book when
>> available.
>>

> It's been in the last stages of beta for a really long time now :( It's
> release date has been pushed back at least three times this year already.

It suffers from the same fate as many books for Ruby, which is chasing
a moving target.

The current delay is that it was decided to delay the release until
RSpec 2 is released, which is also being coordinated on the release of
Rails 3.

Even in its current 'beta' form it's quite complete and useful.