From: Noel Jones on
On 1/29/2010 12:42 PM, Dan Lists wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 12:22 PM, Noel Jones<njones(a)megan.vbhcs.org> wrote:
>> $ host monsant.com
>> Host monsant.com not found: 2(SERVFAIL)
>>
>> This is a temporary error. The name server for monsant.com could not be
>> contacted. You don't know if the domain exists or not. "whois" shows this
>> domain does exist, but the listed name servers return an error rather than
>> an authoritative NXDOMAIN.
>
> I am getting an NXDOMAIN:
>
> # host monsant.com
> Host monsant.com not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

It's possible that their different name servers return
different reponses. At any rate, it was a temporary error
when postfix tried to deliver the mail. If postfix gets an
authoritative NXDOMAIN the mail will be returned, just like
with the asdf.gmail.com example.

-- Noel Jones

From: Wietse Venema on
Dan Lists:
> > $ host monsant.com
> > Host monsant.com not found: 2(SERVFAIL)
> >
> > This is a temporary error. The name server for monsant.com could not be
> > contacted. ?You don't know if the domain exists or not. ?"whois" shows this
> > domain does exist, but the listed name servers return an error rather than
> > an authoritative NXDOMAIN.
>
> I am getting an NXDOMAIN:
>
> # host monsant.com
> Host monsant.com not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

For me, all three name servers for monsant.com fail to respond.
That's ns1.monsanto.com, ns3.monsanto.com, and ns4.monsanto.com.

Wietse

From: Dan Lists on
On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 1:17 PM, Wietse Venema <wietse(a)porcupine.org> wrote:
> Dan Lists:
> [ Charset ISO-8859-1 unsupported, converting... ]
>> > $ host monsant.com
>> > Host monsant.com not found: 2(SERVFAIL)
>> >
>> > This is a temporary error. The name server for monsant.com could not be
>> > contacted. ?You don't know if the domain exists or not. ?"whois" shows this
>> > domain does exist, but the listed name servers return an error rather than
>> > an authoritative NXDOMAIN.
>>
>> I am getting an NXDOMAIN:
>>
>> # host monsant.com
>> Host monsant.com not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
>
> For me, all three name servers for monsant.com fail to respond.
> That's ns1.monsanto.com, ns3.monsanto.com, and ns4.monsanto.com.
>
>        Wietse

Is there a way to change how long postfix waits before the first
warning email is sent back to the sender?

From: Wietse Venema on
Dan Lists:
> On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 1:17 PM, Wietse Venema <wietse(a)porcupine.org> wrote:
> > Dan Lists:

> >> I am getting an NXDOMAIN:
> >>
> >> # host monsant.com
> >> Host monsant.com not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
> >
> > For me, all three name servers for monsant.com fail to respond.
> > That's ns1.monsanto.com, ns3.monsanto.com, and ns4.monsanto.com.
> >
> > ? ? ? ?Wietse
> >

> Is there a way to change how long postfix waits before the first
> warning email is sent back to the sender?

Postfix sends delayed mail warnings only if explicitly configured
with the delay_warning_time parameter.

Wietse