From: William R. Walsh on
Hello all...

I recently dug up an old JC Penney MCS 2230 integrated stereo, and I'd like
to get the turntable going again. (Despite the source, it's a pretty nice
stereo system...the radio tuner works well, it seems to have about a 40Wx2
output power rating (which seems reasonable, having looked at the
internals), the cassette deck is a partial logic design with the ability to
skip ahead 1, 2 or 3 songs and the turntable itself is a linear tracking
type.)

Anyway, before I stored it, the turntable was in need of a new belt. I set
the belt aside and now it seems to be gone. I could have sworn that I read
about how to determine an unknown belt size in the FAQ, but I could not find
it just now. As best I remember, a string was used and placed around all the
components driven by the belt, after which a measurement was taken.

William

From: D Yuniskis on
Hi William,

William R. Walsh wrote:
> I recently dug up an old JC Penney MCS 2230 integrated stereo, and I'd like
> to get the turntable going again. (Despite the source, it's a pretty nice
> stereo system...the radio tuner works well, it seems to have about a 40Wx2
> output power rating (which seems reasonable, having looked at the
> internals), the cassette deck is a partial logic design with the ability to
> skip ahead 1, 2 or 3 songs and the turntable itself is a linear tracking
> type.)
>
> Anyway, before I stored it, the turntable was in need of a new belt. I set
> the belt aside and now it seems to be gone. I could have sworn that I read
> about how to determine an unknown belt size in the FAQ, but I could not find
> it just now. As best I remember, a string was used and placed around all the
> components driven by the belt, after which a measurement was taken.

I like using fine wire for that sort of thing. Strings stretch. :<

Of course, you will want to think about the number you get from
such a measurement. E.g., the actual belt size may be smaller
than you measure to allow for a snug fit (?)

Does 24.5mm sound right?

http://www.turntablebasics.com/belts/penney.html
http://www.vintage-electronics.cc/Pennys,_JC_%28MCS%29.html
From: Meat Plow on
On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 13:42:48 -0500, William R. Walsh ǝʇoɹʍ:

> Hello all...
>
> I recently dug up an old JC Penney MCS 2230 integrated stereo, and I'd
> like to get the turntable going again. (Despite the source, it's a
> pretty nice stereo system...the radio tuner works well, it seems to have
> about a 40Wx2 output power rating (which seems reasonable, having looked
> at the internals), the cassette deck is a partial logic design with the
> ability to skip ahead 1, 2 or 3 songs and the turntable itself is a
> linear tracking type.)
>
> Anyway, before I stored it, the turntable was in need of a new belt. I
> set the belt aside and now it seems to be gone. I could have sworn that
> I read about how to determine an unknown belt size in the FAQ, but I
> could not find it just now. As best I remember, a string was used and
> placed around all the components driven by the belt, after which a
> measurement was taken.
>
> William

String. I've used it on many turntables where the belt turned to mush.
Technics tt et al were one of my responsibilities at the warranty repair
center before the CD made them obsolete as far as new home audio system
sales were concerned. One other thing is the width of the belt is crucial
in many cases. That determines how the belt sometimes rides the motor
pulley and can cause problems including dismounting of the belt and speed
inconsistencies.
From: GregS on
In article <O9idnSsjYas_aprRnZ2dnUVZ_qCdnZ2d(a)mchsi.com>, "William R. Walsh" <newsgroups1(a)idontwantjunqueemail.walshcomptech.com> wrote:
>Hello all...
>
>I recently dug up an old JC Penney MCS 2230 integrated stereo, and I'd like
>to get the turntable going again. (Despite the source, it's a pretty nice
>stereo system...the radio tuner works well, it seems to have about a 40Wx2
>output power rating (which seems reasonable, having looked at the
>internals), the cassette deck is a partial logic design with the ability to
>skip ahead 1, 2 or 3 songs and the turntable itself is a linear tracking
>type.)
>
>Anyway, before I stored it, the turntable was in need of a new belt. I set
>the belt aside and now it seems to be gone. I could have sworn that I read
>about how to determine an unknown belt size in the FAQ, but I could not find
>it just now. As best I remember, a string was used and placed around all the
>components driven by the belt, after which a measurement was taken.

A turntable belt has a lot of stretch to it.

You could do a Google search and find the belt like I did..............
http://www.vintage-electronics.cc/Pennys,_JC_(MCS).html

From: Jim Yanik on
zekfrivo(a)zekfrivolous.com (GregS) wrote in

> In article <O9idnSsjYas_aprRnZ2dnUVZ_qCdnZ2d(a)mchsi.com>, "William R.
> Walsh" <newsgroups1(a)idontwantjunqueemail.walshcomptech.com> wrote:
>>Hello all...
>>
>>I recently dug up an old JC Penney MCS 2230 integrated stereo, and I'd
>>like to get the turntable going again. (Despite the source, it's a
>>pretty nice stereo system...the radio tuner works well, it seems to
>>have about a 40Wx2 output power rating (which seems reasonable, having
>>looked at the internals), the cassette deck is a partial logic design
>>with the ability to skip ahead 1, 2 or 3 songs and the turntable
>>itself is a linear tracking type.)
>>
>>Anyway, before I stored it, the turntable was in need of a new belt. I
>>set the belt aside and now it seems to be gone. I could have sworn
>>that I read about how to determine an unknown belt size in the FAQ,
>>but I could not find it just now. As best I remember, a string was
>>used and placed around all the components driven by the belt, after
>>which a measurement was taken.
>
> A turntable belt has a lot of stretch to it.
>
> You could do a Google search and find the belt like I
> http://www.vintage-electronics.cc/Pennys,_JC_(MCS).html

OK,then after that,WHERE do you buy a new belt?
the store where I used to buy them locally has gone away. :-(

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik