From: N_Cook on
About year 1999, USA make, for export
In line , not 2 or more separate primary windings, DC ohms to nearest 0.1
ohm. I'm assuming same gauge wire throughout
Labelled by me as A,B,C,D,E crossplot (message souce maybe equispaced font)

--- A B C D E
A --- 9.2 8.5 12.5 1.5
B 9.2 --- 0.6 3.6 7.6
C 8.5 0.6 --- 4.2 7.6
D 12.5 3.6 4.2 --- 11.1
E 1.5 7.6 7.6 11.1 ---

Would D-E / D-A be 220/240Vac or 230/250V ac?
what would likely be the 110 or 130V interconnctions option ?
Other than checking using a variac , any other tips ?

From: Gerard Bok on
On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 10:37:06 +0100, "N_Cook" <diverse(a)tcp.co.uk>
wrote:

>About year 1999, USA make, for export
>In line , not 2 or more separate primary windings, DC ohms to nearest 0.1
>ohm. I'm assuming same gauge wire throughout
>Labelled by me as A,B,C,D,E crossplot (message souce maybe equispaced font)
>
>--- A B C D E
>A --- 9.2 8.5 12.5 1.5
>B 9.2 --- 0.6 3.6 7.6
>C 8.5 0.6 --- 4.2 7.6
>D 12.5 3.6 4.2 --- 11.1
>E 1.5 7.6 7.6 11.1 ---
>

>Would D-E / D-A be 220/240Vac or 230/250V ac?
>what would likely be the 110 or 130V interconnctions option ?
>Other than checking using a variac , any other tips ?

Assuming the beast also has a secundary, --possably even marked
with a voltage-- I would apply that voltage (from another
transformer) and measure the voltages on the primary terminals.

--
met vriendelijke groet,
Gerard Bok
From: Arfa Daily on
On 01/06/2010 10:37, N_Cook wrote:
> About year 1999, USA make, for export
> In line , not 2 or more separate primary windings, DC ohms to nearest 0.1
> ohm. I'm assuming same gauge wire throughout
> Labelled by me as A,B,C,D,E crossplot (message souce maybe equispaced font)
>
> --- A B C D E
> A --- 9.2 8.5 12.5 1.5
> B 9.2 --- 0.6 3.6 7.6
> C 8.5 0.6 --- 4.2 7.6
> D 12.5 3.6 4.2 --- 11.1
> E 1.5 7.6 7.6 11.1 ---
>

> Would D-E / D-A be 220/240Vac or 230/250V ac?
> what would likely be the 110 or 130V interconnctions option ?
> Other than checking using a variac , any other tips ?

Look for single wires, indicating winding ends, rather than taps ?

Arfa

From: N_Cook on
Gerard Bok <bok118(a)zonnet.nl> wrote in message
> On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 10:37:06 +0100, "N_Cook" <diverse(a)tcp.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
> >About year 1999, USA make, for export
> >In line , not 2 or more separate primary windings, DC ohms to nearest 0.1
> >ohm. I'm assuming same gauge wire throughout
> >Labelled by me as A,B,C,D,E crossplot (message souce maybe equispaced
font)

> >--- A B C D E
> >A --- 9.2 8.5 12.5 1.5
> >B 9.2 --- 0.6 3.6 7.6
> >C 8.5 0.6 --- 4.2 7.6
> >D 12.5 3.6 4.2 --- 11.1
> >E 1.5 7.6 7.6 11.1 ---
> >

> >Would D-E / D-A be 220/240Vac or 230/250V ac?
> >what would likely be the 110 or 130V interconnctions option ?
> >Other than checking using a variac , any other tips ?
>
> Assuming the beast also has a secundary, --possably even marked
> with a voltage-- I would apply that voltage (from another
> transformer) and measure the voltages on the primary terminals.
>
> --
> met vriendelijke groet,
> Gerard Bok

I hadn't actually thought of that but problem is which crosslink/s? for 110
or 130 V operation. From the deformation set into the leads it was probably
D-E used in the UK so D-A probably 250V. The others can stay disconnected if
need be , as unlikely to ever be used outside the UK

From: PlainBill47 on
On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 10:37:06 +0100, "N_Cook" <diverse(a)tcp.co.uk> wrote:

>About year 1999, USA make, for export
>In line , not 2 or more separate primary windings, DC ohms to nearest 0.1
>ohm. I'm assuming same gauge wire throughout
>Labelled by me as A,B,C,D,E crossplot (message souce maybe equispaced font)
>
>--- A B C D E
>A --- 9.2 8.5 12.5 1.5
>B 9.2 --- 0.6 3.6 7.6
>C 8.5 0.6 --- 4.2 7.6
>D 12.5 3.6 4.2 --- 11.1
>E 1.5 7.6 7.6 11.1 ---
>

>Would D-E / D-A be 220/240Vac or 230/250V ac?
>what would likely be the 110 or 130V interconnctions option ?
>Other than checking using a variac , any other tips ?

The first step is to rearrange the chart so it makes sense.
The highest resistance is A-D. so A and D are the ends.
A-E is the lowest resistance, so the top line of the chart should now
read

--- A E C B D
A ---1.5 8.5 9.2 12.5

But a better way to look at is is the increments

A-E = winding a = 1.5
E-C = winding b = 7.0
C-B = winding c = 0.7
B-D = winding d = 3.3

NOW let's relabel, and assume that the maximum input voltage is 250
volts (because it's a convenient multiple of 12.5). So the voltage
across each segment (and the taps for each segment) becomes:

a = 30
b = 140
c = 14
d = 66
Which doesn't make sense for a dual voltage supply UNLESS you assume
multiple gauge wires were used. Which is not unreasonable, factoring
in a desire to save $.02 per device.

Suggestion: A variac (turned down to a very low voltage) would work,
but just about any transformer with an output voltage of 10 -15 volts
should do it. Feed the low voltage AC into the end wirings and
measure the voltage at each tap. Calculate from there.

PlainBill