From: kent yip on

> Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 06:30:10 +0900
> From: alan(a)blogometer.com
> Subject: Re: Determining the Source File of a Class
> To: ruby-talk(a)ruby-lang.org
>
> Ryan Davis wrote:
> > On Jul 23, 2010, at 13:40 , Alan Gutierrez wrote:
> >
> >> I'm trying to debug a bug where I seem to have a class that has two defintions, the one I know of, and another one, somewhere, the one I'm getting when I attempt to use the class.
> >>
> >> Given a class, is there a way to get name of the file in which it was defined?
> >>
> >> MyClass.defintion_file
> >>
> >> Something like that?
> >
> > Classes in ruby are "open", which means that they can be extended at any time. So there isn't really a "definition" (at least, for a single location) of a given class.
>
> Thank you. That answers my question.
>
> > You also have the case where something isn't opened to have stuff added to it, but instead it can be extended by modules instead.
> >
> > If you want, you can play with the reflective hooks in Module: method_added, included, extended, etc.
>
> Sounds like fire hose, but I'm sure there's a clever Ruby way to control
> the torrent.
>
> Fortunately, I seem to have found the other definition that is being
> invoked using `find` and `grep`.
>
> --
> Alan Gutierrez - alan(a)blogometer.com - http://twitter.com/bigeasy

MSN Dating: Find someone special. Start now.
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9734384
From: David Masover on
On Friday, July 23, 2010 08:33:30 pm moksha wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 09:59:52AM +0900, Zach Banks wrote:
> > Unsubscribe
> >
> > Sent from my iPhone
>
> Why do we get multiple unsubscribe messages here?

Because people don't know how to follow directions:

Specifically, this part, right here:

"To unsubscribe from a list, send a mail which body is “unsubscribe” to the
controller address."

CONTROLLER ADDRESS.

Not to ruby-talk(a)ruby-lang.org.
To ruby-talk-ctl(a)ruby-lang.org.

Then again, most people only seem to send the "unsubscribe" once -- after
that, presumably, they figured out how to properly unsubscribe, or they just
marked it all as spam.