From: KTexas on
Hi,
When I shut down my computer and get the message, 1 of 1 updates installing,
do not turn off your computer", nothing installs and my computer doesn't
automatically turn off like it usually does. I have had to turn it off at
the power switch, when I press the off button on the CPU, nothing happens.

It just continually goes back and forth from, " installing 1 of 1 updates,"
to "do not shut down your computer, it will shut down automatically."

I would appreciate any help in fixing this issue.

Thanks
From: Shenan Stanley on
KTexas wrote:
> When I shut down my computer and get the message, 1 of 1 updates
> installing, do not turn off your computer", nothing installs and
> my computer doesn't automatically turn off like it usually does. I
> have had to turn it off at the power switch, when I press the off
> button on the CPU, nothing happens.
>
> It just continually goes back and forth from, " installing 1 of 1
> updates," to "do not shut down your computer, it will shut down
> automatically."
>
> I would appreciate any help in fixing this issue.

How long have you given it to do the installation?

Your power button is likely a 'soft' one - meaning it is electronic - not
mechanical. If you *really* want to force it off - you will have to hold it
down ofr 8+ seconds.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: KTexas on
I have left the computer on for almost 2 hrs. waiting and it just keeps going
from "installing 1 of 1" to "do not turn off your computer." I finally just
went in and changed my setting to "notify me before downloading or installing
updates. I really don't want to do this, I would rather they install
automatically. The "installing 1 of 1" seems to be hung. When I look at my
history of updates it doesn't show anything that hasn't updated.

I would still like to fix it so I can go back and get automatic updates but
don't want to keep having to turn off the computer. Please advise, and
thanks!

From: Shenan Stanley on
KTexas wrote:
> I have left the computer on for almost 2 hrs. waiting and it just
> keeps going from "installing 1 of 1" to "do not turn off your
> computer." I finally just went in and changed my setting to
> "notify me before downloading or installing updates. I really
> don't want to do this, I would rather they install automatically.
> The "installing 1 of 1" seems to be hung. When I look at my
> history of updates it doesn't show anything that hasn't updated.
>
> I would still like to fix it so I can go back and get automatic
> updates but don't want to keep having to turn off the computer.
> Please advise, and thanks!

Without knowing which update (KB######), what operating system (Windows ____
____ Edition), what service pack (1, 2, 3, if any) and what architecture
(32-bit or 64-bit) - help could be limited. ;-)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: Annwyn on
I am having exactly the same problem and have been for approx three weeks. I
have also disabled my automatic updates and it sticks on 'installing 1 of 11'
' do not turn off your computer' but nothing happens. I am running windows
xp, and have service pack 2 installed also, with regards to the 64 bit
thingy, I have no idea, I'm not that computer literate. A bit more
information and help from Windows customer help would be appreciated as to
what the possible problem could be and what can be done about it.