From: Self on
I updated my Laptop to Windows XP. After I used it for a while, the
automatic installer said I had some updates to install. There are about 20
if them. When I agreed to allow it to proceed, it seemed to work, however
after a few minutes I got a message that simply says "Updates were unable to
be sucessfully installed". It then lists all 20 updates and gives no
reasons why. I am logged in as an adminstor.

Any ideas?

-s

From: Self on
After inspection of the update.log file I see the repeated occurance of an
error code "0x80070005". This appears to have several meanings.

-s

From: TaurArian on
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;836926
Updates from the Windows Update Web site are not installed and an "Error 0x80070005:
Access is denied" error message is logged to the Windows Update.log file

This error message may occur if you have insufficient permissions to the Windows
Update registry keys. The WindowsUpdate.log file will also read errors 0x80070005 and
0x80080005.
http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/showarticle.aspx?articleid=13&ln=en

Posted by another user:

Had same error code.
Also tried changing various access rights.
All without success.
Even downloaded the update files individually. But that would give an
error on attempting to copy the file branches.inf.
This lead to the solution.
For whatever reason, the file branches.inf
located in C:\windows\inf
was made ReadOnly.
Cleared this ReadOnly flag and the installation of the updates worked
smoothly.
Anyone any idea what this branches.inf file is/does. Or why this would be
set to readOnly on this one machine (had no problems on others).

The inf folder is hidden.

Click Start, select: Run, type the following: %windir%\inf
Press OK

From: Self on
Thanks for the advice, however my branches file did not have the read-only
status set. It was fine.

Still looking.

-s