From: englishman on
The above Update for IE7 is failing to install and giving the error code
indicated. I can't find any quick answers via Google that work. I've tried
renaming the xpsp3res.dll file and re-installing wu via dial-a-fix but
nothing has worked yet. I'd be glad to receive any ideas. Thanks
From: Shenan Stanley on
englishman wrote:
> The above Update for IE7 is failing to install and giving the error
> code indicated. I can't find any quick answers via Google that
> work. I've tried renaming the xpsp3res.dll file and re-installing
> wu via dial-a-fix but nothing has worked yet. I'd be glad to
> receive any ideas.

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan with the following
(freeware version):

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan with the following
(freeware version):

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download and run the MSRT manually:

You may find nothing, you may find only cookies, you may think it is a
waste of time - but if you do all this and report back here with what you
do/don't find as you are doing all of it - you are adding more pieces to
the puzzle and the entire picture just may become clearer and your
problem resolved.

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Visit this web page:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

.... and click on the "Microsoft Fix it" icon. When asked, select "RUN",
both times. Check the "I agree" box and click on "Next". Check the box
for "Run aggressive options (not recommended)" and click "Next". Let
it finish up and follow the prompts until it is done. Close/exit and
reboot when it is.

You should now perform a full CHKDSK on your system drive (C:)...

How to scan your disks for errors
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265
* will take time and a reboot

You should now perform a full Defragment on your system drive (C:)...

How to Defragment your hard drives
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314848
* will take time

Reboot.

Uninstall any and all third-party firewall applications (ZoneAlarm, etc)
and utilize the built-in WIndows Firewall only.

Reboot.

Log on as an user with administrative rights and open Internet Explorer
and visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and select to do a
CUSTOM scan...

Every time you are about to click on something while at these web pages -
release the CTRL key after clicking each time.

(deselect any others) and install it.

Reboot again.

time. Rebooting as needed.

against the "Windows Search" one and any of the "Office Live" ones or
"Windows Live" ones for now. I would completely avoid the
Optional Hardware updates. Also - I do not see any urgent need to
install Internet Explorer 8 at this time.

Seriously - do all that. This is like antibiotics - don't skip a single
step, don't quit because you think things will be okay now - go through
until the end, until you have done everything given in the order given. If
you have a problem with a step come ask and let someone here get you
through that step. If you don't understand how to do a step, come back
and ask here about that step and let someone walk you through it.

Then - when done - let everyone here know if it worked for you - or if
you have more issues.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: plughplover on
I also encountered this error. Investgation revealed the update was failing
with a message indicating it could not migrate Hotfix KB889333 (iepeers.dll)

I extracted iepeers.dll from the SP3QFE branch of KB978207 and manually
updated the copies in system32 and dllcache. The update then ran to
completion.

FWIW This was a fresh XP install from a slipstreamed XP+SP3+etc CD.

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
QED: If it was a "fresh install," why did you need Hotfix KB889333 to begin
with?

plughplover wrote:
> I also encountered this error. Investgation revealed the update was
> failing
> with a message indicating it could not migrate Hotfix KB889333
> (iepeers.dll)
>
> I extracted iepeers.dll from the SP3QFE branch of KB978207 and manually
> updated the copies in system32 and dllcache. The update then ran to
> completion.
>
> FWIW This was a fresh XP install from a slipstreamed XP+SP3+etc CD.
>
>> englishman wrote:
>>> The above Update for IE7 is failing to install and giving the error
>>> code indicated. I can't find any quick answers via Google that
>>> work. I've tried renaming the xpsp3res.dll file and re-installing
>>> wu via dial-a-fix but nothing has worked yet. I'd be glad to
>>> receive any ideas.
<snip>

From: englishman on
Thanks for the diagnostic "schedule" - I won't have time to systematically
execute it until weekend but, meanwhile, I would still be very very keen to
hear from anyone else who has suffered the same KB978207 (Error Code
0x8007F0EA) update installation failure. FYI I have XP Sp3 with IE7

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> englishman wrote:
> > The above Update for IE7 is failing to install and giving the error
> > code indicated. I can't find any quick answers via Google that
> > work. I've tried renaming the xpsp3res.dll file and re-installing
> > wu via dial-a-fix but nothing has worked yet. I'd be glad to
> > receive any ideas.
etc
etc
etc