From: coady on
Hi,

This will be my first time to update a SQL table. Please bear with me.
I need to update a table in SQL 2000 from a csv file on a daily basis.
For example, table 1 has the following columns: lastname, middlename,
firstname, emailaddress and they all need to be updated.

What would be best way to do it and run automatically?

Thank you
From: John Bell on
On Tue, 11 May 2010 10:39:01 -0700, coady
<coady(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>This will be my first time to update a SQL table. Please bear with me.
>I need to update a table in SQL 2000 from a csv file on a daily basis.
>For example, table 1 has the following columns: lastname, middlename,
>firstname, emailaddress and they all need to be updated.
>
>What would be best way to do it and run automatically?
>
>Thank you

Hi

This looks like you should use a DTS package and schedule the package
to run at a specific time.

John
From: DBAdan on
You could alternatively create a sql agent job that runs an openquery
statement. Be aware that the login that runs your SQL Agent service will
need permission to the folder and excel file.

article on using openquery for csv/excel.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/321686?p=1

"John Bell" wrote:

> On Tue, 11 May 2010 10:39:01 -0700, coady
> <coady(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >This will be my first time to update a SQL table. Please bear with me.
> >I need to update a table in SQL 2000 from a csv file on a daily basis.
> >For example, table 1 has the following columns: lastname, middlename,
> >firstname, emailaddress and they all need to be updated.
> >
> >What would be best way to do it and run automatically?
> >
> >Thank you
>

> Hi
>
> This looks like you should use a DTS package and schedule the package
> to run at a specific time.
>
> John
> .

Pages: 1