From: Nichole Nichole on
I normally use the automatic updates, but noticed that it was at 1% for a
long time so I then cancelled my automatic update and try to do the express
update from the windows update website. The update would begin normaly but
then nothing downlads the progress bar just stays blank. Then I canceled the
update. I have never had problems in the past with updates and have not
changed anything on my computer. Here are the updates that I was trying to
download
Security Update for Windows XP Service Pack 3 (KB952069)
Security Update for Microsoft Office Excel 2007 (KB958437)
Security Update for Microsoft Office Word 2007 (KB956358)
Security Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB956828)
Security Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB958439)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB954600)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB956802)
Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP

Thank you for your help,
Nichole
From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Re-enable Automatic Updates (AU) then wait a few days. If AU hasn't
downloaded/installed these updates yet, reply to this post.

Absent any serious numerical Errors in your windowsupdate.log, you may be
seeing a delay caused by excessive demand on the servers ("Update is not
allowed to download due to regulation"). It can take up to 7 days or more
(sometimes much more) for all Automatic Update users to get new updates when
so many have been released on the second Tuesday of a given month. See
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910340

You can try downloading/installing the updates via Windows/Microsoft Update
(WinXP) or running Windows Update manually (Vista) instead: Understand that
by doing so, you're pushing all the Automatic Updates users further back in
the queue (which may explain, at least in part, why Automatic Updates hasn't
brought them in for you yet).
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net