From: Zoms on
Hi,
I'm facing aproblem when using Windows Update for installing important
update which is Update for Microsoft Search Enhancement Pack

Download size: 748 KB

its to improve performance and reliability of Microsoft Search Enhancement
Pack.
after 100% downloading and installing it shows that it has failed.
any idea how to solve this issue
I'm using Windows 7
Thanks
From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Maybe you're just lucky? Read the following then decide if you really want
to install KB982217 or just hide it. [1]

Bing hijacked Firefox addressbar
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistawu/thread/e1f01d01-a82a-4289-95e2-34ef023b2653

Unwelcomed MS Live Toolbar...
["After 3+ hr with MS TS, including 3 screen-share sessions and escalation
Tier 2, we were able to reproduce the problem, but they have no idea of
cause
or fix. They (of course) said they are not being swamped with calls about
this
(yet)."]
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1920407

<QP>
The company says it has now, um, updated the update, and the silent toolbar
install no longer occurs. The company calls the silent install "a bug."

"We discovered a bug in the latest update that was installing the Firefox
extension for users with the Windows Live Toolbar and MSN Toolbar
(specifically people who have not upgraded to the latest version of the Bing
Bar)," the company tells us. "We fixed the update so that going forward
folks
who still have only the older Windows Live Toolbar or MSN Toolbar will not
see
this behavior anymore."

The company apologizes for any inconvenience this may have caused.
</QP>
Source:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/06/11/microsoft_slips_firtefox_add_on_into_software_update/

Microsoft explains mystery Firefox extension, "fixes" update
<QP>
....this particular [update] does not show up in Control Panel => Programs
and
Features => Installed Updates. Furthermore, the Uninstall button for the
extension is greyed out in Firefox. Internet Explorer, meanwhile, does not
have uninstall options for add-ons: only Enable and Disable buttons are
present. [So much for End-to-End Trust!]

Microsoft gave us the following instructions to remove the extension...
</QP>
Source & much more:
http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2010/06/microsoft-explains-mystery-firefox-extension-fixes-update-1.ars

[1] HOW TO Hide an Update or Restore a Hidden Update
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/24376-windows-update-hide-restore-hidden-updates.html
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)