From: Enzo on
I was installed Update for Windows Vista (KB980248). After the install, the
machine rebooted. The install failed and I recieved error 800700C1. It was
midnight so I threw up my hands and went to bed.

At 3am, Windows Update ran automatically, and this time it said it succeeded
but it definately did not reboot.

The update was done using a "Standard" user with no administration rights.

When I startup IE 8, no fonts appear. When I startup Word, it says is
cannot find any fonts and throws an out of memory error loading fonts. Other
portions of windows are also turning up blank because of the lack of fonts!!!!

Obviously, there is a permission problem!!!!

When I login as a local admin, everything seems to work (this is how I am
able to write this post). Problem is, I have several "standard" users setup
for various family members that I do not trust to run as Admin.

I tried searching, but either its too early or this problem is unique to me
but I cannot find any information regarding this problem anywhere.

How can I undo what this update was suppose to have done? I just want to
run my standard users and I don't care about Office 2010! I don't know there
is a restore point because this was suppost to be a permission change.

Anyway, really frustrated right now and hope someone can help!
From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Are you running Vista SP1 or Vista SP2? Is Office 2010 installed?

Was KB980248 offered & eventually installed via Windows Update or did you
(attempt to) install it manually?

What third-party firewall (if any)?

it)?

Office 2010 (Beta) Support Forums
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/office2010/threads

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
cf.
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistawu/thread/f7fa37ca-683c-4be1-b4ad-ab2dd1249399

From: Raize on
This problem is not unique to you. I am experiencing it in a 2000+
computer environment as well. We use Norton and not AVG or McAfee. I
do not suspect it has anything to do with our Anti-virus software. We
have mostly the same symptoms as well, fonts simply do not work till
the computer is rebooted a second time. At the present time we have
put the Windows Update in question on "decline" and are reconsidering
our adoption of Office 2010, possibly moving the rest of our computers
to Open Office starting this summer.
From: MowGreen on
Raize wrote:
> We have mostly the same symptoms as well, fonts simply do not work till
> the computer is rebooted a second time.

Raize,

Sorry, this is not the same issue that Enzo resolved by configuring his
system to *Clean boot* prior to installing KB980248.
You state that ** 2 reboots ** resolved it.

The *result* of installing the update *may* have been the same but Enzo
could *not* resolve it on his system with * 2 reboots *.

Suggest you try installing it on one Vista system that has just been
booted but NO component of Office have been loaded. IOW, remove *all*
Office components from the startup axis.
Now install KB980248 and see if doing the above results in a successful
installation with no side effects.

If there's still an issue after installing it, then suggest you either
completely and TOTALLY disable Norton or Clean boot a system, but
include Office components in the startup axis, to see what occurs.

I suspect either loading Office components on boot or Norton as the
cause of the issue that you're seeing.

MowGreen
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten