From: Shenan Stanley on
<snip>

Questor wrote:
> To not flog a dead horse here, I disagree. When choosing Start ->
> Turn off Computer after all updates have been applied, the dialog
> box that appears in the center of the screen states quite clearly
> under the middle button ("Turn Off") -- "Click here to install the
> updates and TURN OFF (emphasis mine) your computer".
>
> That, to me, means turn off, not cycle down to CMOS and restart. Under
> those conditions there must be a complete power down cycle to
> effect the changes is what I read from that screen.
>
> If you simply choose Restart, not all of the updates will get
> installed.
> And, yes, punch cards were my first input medium; along with
> fingerboning in machine code using 15 switches and a Load/Store
> switch.

Ah - you are just not thinking in the same manner.

You don't *have* to 'turn off' to install those updates. It is just how you
have your Automatic Updates setup. You could - at anytime - check for
updates and install them without ever turning off your computer (perhaps not
even restarting, depending on the updates) and if you changed the way you
have your automatic updates setup - it could either install them and reboot
at its own choosing, notify you when updates are available to install,
notify you when updates are available to download and then install, etc.

Essentially - you are shutting down and then - in its (Windows) best attempt
to make sure you stay up to date - it prompts you that it has downloaded
some updates and would love to install them before you shut down. The
shutdown is not a required part of the update - it is merely when it
prompted you. ;-) You could choose to just shutdown and then on the next
power-up - check for updates and install them. Or cancel the shutdown and
check for updates and install them. But the shutdown *is not* part of the
update - it is when you finally noticed it had updates ready. ;-)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: Questor on
--->
> <snip>
>
> Questor wrote:
>> To not flog a dead horse here, I disagree. When choosing Start ->
>> Turn off Computer after all updates have been applied, the dialog
>> box that appears in the center of the screen states quite clearly
>> under the middle button ("Turn Off") -- "Click here to install the
>> updates and TURN OFF (emphasis mine) your computer".
>>
>> That, to me, means turn off, not cycle down to CMOS and restart. Under
>> those conditions there must be a complete power down cycle to
>> effect the changes is what I read from that screen.
>>
>> If you simply choose Restart, not all of the updates will get
>> installed.
>> And, yes, punch cards were my first input medium; along with
>> fingerboning in machine code using 15 switches and a Load/Store
>> switch.
>
> Ah - you are just not thinking in the same manner.
>
> You don't *have* to 'turn off' to install those updates. It is just how you
> have your Automatic Updates setup. You could - at anytime - check for
> updates and install them without ever turning off your computer (perhaps not
> even restarting, depending on the updates) and if you changed the way you
> have your automatic updates setup - it could either install them and reboot
> at its own choosing, notify you when updates are available to install,
> notify you when updates are available to download and then install, etc.
>
> Essentially - you are shutting down and then - in its (Windows) best attempt
> to make sure you stay up to date - it prompts you that it has downloaded
> some updates and would love to install them before you shut down. The
> shutdown is not a required part of the update - it is merely when it
> prompted you. ;-) You could choose to just shutdown and then on the next
> power-up - check for updates and install them. Or cancel the shutdown and
> check for updates and install them. But the shutdown *is not* part of the
> update - it is when you finally noticed it had updates ready. ;-)

Well, I'm not going to argue with anyone who knows it all completely.
You've obviously made up your mind and continue to be argumentative. I
have spoken my piece and will now ignore you.

Questor
From: Shenan Stanley on
<snipped>
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain&tid=7975ee60-1d46-41ac-bad6-2baa08cc0bbc&cat=&lang=&cr=&sloc=&p=1

Questor wrote:
> Well, I'm not going to argue with anyone who knows it all
> completely. You've obviously made up your mind and continue to be
> argumentative. I have spoken my piece and will now ignore you.

It's a discussion - not an argument. If you consider it anything else - you
are the one being stubborn. ;-)

I have ran and managed Windows machines for many years. Turning off has
never been a requirement of any update I can think of off-hand.

I do know that if you have your automatic updates set in a certain manner
and/or you have downloaded/installed some updates that require a restart -
and you choose to *shutdown* instead of restarting like it most likely pops
up and asks you to do - it will want to install the updates and finish up
before it officially shuts down.

In Windows Vista and Windows 7 it can enve do 2 parts (of 3) during the
restart (downhill part of the OS - where the services and such are shutting
down, etc) and the final part (3rd of 3) when it comes back up.

It's just that you seem to think that some update require you turn off your
computer in order for them to install - when that is not true. Now maybe I
misread/misunderstood what you were saying...

In any case - maybe this can explain better what is being discussed...
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457141.aspx#EBAA

Poit in fact - there are updates that *are* allowed to be installed during
shutdown and updates that are not allowed/able to be installed during
shutdow. There are none AFAIK that require a shutdown.

This in Windows XP:
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/post-a18725-shutdown-JPG.html

This in Windows Vista:
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/163244-install-updates-shut-down-add-remove-start-menu.html

How to change the way this works in Windows Vista:
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/163211-windows-update-enable-disable-start-menu-power-button-alert.html

Again - AFAIK - there are no updates that require you to shutdown to install
them. Restart - yes. Shutdown - no. If I understand your one paragraph,
"That, to me, means turn off, not cycle down to CMOS and restart. Under
those conditions there must be a complete power down cycle to effect the
changes is what I read from that screen."; then we do disagree on that
point - although I have provided links to external proof that is just a way
of reminding you to install updates - the *requirement* is not there to
actually *TURN OFF* the computer power - just restart really. It's just the
reminder so you might actually do install the updates when you know the
computer won't be doing anything else.. ;-)

Not an argument - just waiting for the links on your side of the discussion
showing me that the power-down/turn off is required by some updates. I
cannot find it.

I am asking you to teach me something I do not know. I am saying that I
cannot find anywhere, nor does my experience tell me that what you say is
factual. I am willing to learn that it is - asking that you do show me that
it is so. I want to learn if I am incorrect or not in this case.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: Daave on
Shenan Stanley wrote:
> <snipped>
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain&tid=7975ee60-1d46-41ac-bad6-2baa08cc0bbc&cat=&lang=&cr=&sloc=&p=1
>

> Questor wrote:
>> Well, I'm not going to argue with anyone who knows it all
>> completely. You've obviously made up your mind and continue to be
>> argumentative. I have spoken my piece and will now ignore you.
>
> It's a discussion - not an argument.

I can't help but think of this Monty Python skit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teMlv3ripSM