From: Geoff Schaller on
But you're still an old fart.

Get with the times. Stop acting like a news group nazi and just answer
the folks. Then politely request more details if necessary, instead of
cut and pasting out of some by-gone era text book.

From: Tony Rogerson on
> True, but at least I am not rude :)

Come now Joe.

You've built your reputation on being rude, arrogant and condescending.

Clear specs are great - however, out in the real world professionals usually
work without clear specs and your comments and diatribe only reinforce our
view that you've no real world industrial experience other than training
gigs which isolate you from requirements analysis altogether.

--ROGGIE--

From: Geoff Schaller on
You know the funny thing is that almost every IT project costs double
what is originally quoted. I've had many clients who exclaim to me later
that they wish they had held me to my quote. To which I immediately
reply: in that case they would only have received what they asked for in
their spec.

The reality is that we don't get specs. Certainly not detailed ones. And
when I have had to complete a genuine RFT or formal quotation, I would
say that initial spec would never cover more than 30% of what is
eventually built.

We now have an attitude of continual delivery and continual billing. We
agree on small milestones which they are happy to pay on. Each milestone
statement is accompanied with some kind of forward estimate of work
remaining but we find that the customer 'customises' the work so much
along the way that putting too much effort into a detailed spec is just
pure wasteful. It is often fantasy.

Geoff Schaller
Software Objectives

From: TheSQLGuru on
> True, but at least I am not rude :)

That is a stunningly brash and false statement!!!

--
Kevin G. Boles
Indicium Resources, Inc.

From: Kalen Delaney on
I assumed that Joe's smiley meant he was well aware of how rude he is, and
was trying to make light of it.

--
HTH
Kalen