From: python on
I just stumbled across the following page which seems to indicate that
the MS VC 2008 runtime files[1] required to distribute Python
applications compiled with Py2exe and similar tools can be shipped
without the license restriction many previously thought.

See: Updated License Term Agreement for VC Redistributable in VS 2008
SP1
http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/KB956414

<quote>
The End User License Agreement (EULA) attached to the English version of
Visual C++ (VC) Redistributable Package (VCRedistx86.exe,
VCRedistx64.exe, and VCRedist_ia64.exe) in Microsoft Visual Studio 2008
does not let you redistribute the VC Redist files. It specifies that you
may only install and use one copy of the software.

----> The correct EULA allows installation and use of any number of
copies of the VC Redist packages. <----

CAUSE

This problem occurs when Visual Studio 2008 SP1 installs incorrect VC
Redist files that have the wrong EULAs to the computer.
</quote>

I know there's been lots of confusion about whether developers can ship
these DLL files directly or whether developers must ship the Visual C++
2008 Redistributable Package SP 1 files (vcredist_x86.exe or
vcredist_x64.exe) - I think the above article should settle this debate
once and for all.

Malcolm

1. MS VC 2008 runtime files: msvcr90.dll, msvcp90.dll, msvcm90.dll
From: Alex Hall on
I do not see anything about redistribution, only installation, unless
I am missing something?

On 4/14/10, python(a)bdurham.com <python(a)bdurham.com> wrote:
> I just stumbled across the following page which seems to indicate that
> the MS VC 2008 runtime files[1] required to distribute Python
> applications compiled with Py2exe and similar tools can be shipped
> without the license restriction many previously thought.
>
> See: Updated License Term Agreement for VC Redistributable in VS 2008
> SP1
> http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/KB956414
>
> <quote>
> The End User License Agreement (EULA) attached to the English version of
> Visual C++ (VC) Redistributable Package (VCRedistx86.exe,
> VCRedistx64.exe, and VCRedist_ia64.exe) in Microsoft Visual Studio 2008
> does not let you redistribute the VC Redist files. It specifies that you
> may only install and use one copy of the software.
>
> ----> The correct EULA allows installation and use of any number of
> copies of the VC Redist packages. <----
>
> CAUSE
>
> This problem occurs when Visual Studio 2008 SP1 installs incorrect VC
> Redist files that have the wrong EULAs to the computer.
> </quote>
>
> I know there's been lots of confusion about whether developers can ship
> these DLL files directly or whether developers must ship the Visual C++
> 2008 Redistributable Package SP 1 files (vcredist_x86.exe or
> vcredist_x64.exe) - I think the above article should settle this debate
> once and for all.
>
> Malcolm
>
> 1. MS VC 2008 runtime files: msvcr90.dll, msvcp90.dll, msvcm90.dll

Have a great day,
Alex (msg sent from GMail website)
mehgcap(a)gmail.com; http://www.facebook.com/mehgcap
From: Andrej Mitrovic on
On Apr 14, 10:11 pm, pyt...(a)bdurham.com wrote:
> I just stumbled across the following page which seems to indicate that
> the MS VC 2008 runtime files[1] required to distribute Python
> applications compiled with Py2exe and similar tools can be shipped
> without the license restriction many previously thought.
>
> See: Updated License Term Agreement for VC Redistributable in VS 2008
> SP1http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/KB956414
>
> <quote>
> The End User License Agreement (EULA) attached to the English version of
> Visual C++ (VC) Redistributable Package (VCRedistx86.exe,
> VCRedistx64.exe, and VCRedist_ia64.exe) in Microsoft Visual Studio 2008
> does not let you redistribute the VC Redist files. It specifies that you
> may only install and use one copy of the software.
>
> ----> The correct EULA allows installation and use of any number of
> copies of the VC Redist packages. <----
>
> CAUSE
>
> This problem occurs when Visual Studio 2008 SP1 installs incorrect VC
> Redist files that have the wrong EULAs to the computer.
> </quote>
>
> I know there's been lots of confusion about whether developers can ship
> these DLL files directly or whether developers must ship the Visual C++
> 2008 Redistributable Package SP 1 files (vcredist_x86.exe or
> vcredist_x64.exe) - I think the above article should settle this debate
> once and for all.
>
> Malcolm
>
> 1. MS VC 2008 runtime files: msvcr90.dll, msvcp90.dll, msvcm90.dll

The article links to this Knowledge Base article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956414

In that article, under the More Information, it reads:

APPLIES TO

* Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 Team Suite
* Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 Team Foundation Server
* Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 Test Load Agent
* Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 Database Edition
* Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 Architecture Edition
* Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 Development Edition
* Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 Test Edition
* Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Standard Edition
* Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Professional Edition
* Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Academic Edition
* Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Tools for Applications Software
Development Kit

I don't think this license agreement change involves the express
editions, which are free. Correct me if I'm wrong here?
From: python on
Alex,

> I do not see anything about redistribution, only installation, unless I am missing something?

I read "installation" to mean the same as "redistribution" in the
context of this article. Perhaps I'm wrong?

Malcolm

From: python on
Andrej,

> I don't think this license agreement change involves the express editions, which are free. Correct me if I'm wrong here?

I don't know.

Malcolm

> 1. MS VC 2008 runtime files: msvcr90.dll, msvcp90.dll, msvcm90.dll

The article links to this Knowledge Base article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956414

In that article, under the More Information, it reads:

APPLIES TO

* Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 Team Suite
* Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 Team Foundation Server
* Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 Test Load Agent
* Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 Database Edition
* Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 Architecture Edition
* Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 Development Edition
* Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 Test Edition
* Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Standard Edition
* Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Professional Edition
* Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Academic Edition
* Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Tools for Applications Software
Development Kit

I don't think this license agreement change involves the express
editions, which are free. Correct me if I'm wrong here?
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: ctypes question
Next: Relocatable python install