From: Michael Hoffman on
I have been using Jason Orendorff's path.py module for a long time. It
is very useful. The only problem is that Python 2.6 deprecates the md5
module it imports, so I (and others using my software) now get this
warning whenever they start, which is a little annoying.

/homes/hoffman/arch/Linux-x86_64/lib/python2.6/path-2.2-py2.6.egg/path.py:32:
DeprecationWarning: the md5 module is deprecated; use hashlib instead

The original web page is gone, and e-mails to the author have gone
unanswered. It has a "public domain" license so I could easily fork it
and make this small change. The question is what is the best way to do
that and ensure continuity with the previous versions. Can I (or someone
else) take over the PyPI entry in question? Other suggestions?

Many thanks,
Michael Hoffman
From: Robert Kern on
On 7/26/10 5:16 PM, Michael Hoffman wrote:
> I have been using Jason Orendorff's path.py module for a long time. It is very
> useful. The only problem is that Python 2.6 deprecates the md5 module it
> imports, so I (and others using my software) now get this warning whenever they
> start, which is a little annoying.
>
> /homes/hoffman/arch/Linux-x86_64/lib/python2.6/path-2.2-py2.6.egg/path.py:32:
> DeprecationWarning: the md5 module is deprecated; use hashlib instead
>
> The original web page is gone, and e-mails to the author have gone unanswered.
> It has a "public domain" license so I could easily fork it and make this small
> change. The question is what is the best way to do that and ensure continuity
> with the previous versions. Can I (or someone else) take over the PyPI entry in
> question? Other suggestions?

You cannot "take over" a project on PyPI. You can only fork the project with a
new name. In fact, this has already been done:

http://pypi.python.org/pypi/forked-path/0.1

--
Robert Kern

an underlying truth."
-- Umberto Eco

From: Michael Hoffman on
Robert Kern wrote:
> On 7/26/10 5:16 PM, Michael Hoffman wrote:
>> I have been using Jason Orendorff's path.py module for a long time. It
>> is very
>> useful. The only problem is that Python 2.6 deprecates the md5 module it
>> imports, so I (and others using my software) now get this warning
>> whenever they
>> start, which is a little annoying.
>>
>> /homes/hoffman/arch/Linux-x86_64/lib/python2.6/path-2.2-py2.6.egg/path.py:32:
>>
>> DeprecationWarning: the md5 module is deprecated; use hashlib instead
>>
>> The original web page is gone, and e-mails to the author have gone
>> unanswered.
>> It has a "public domain" license so I could easily fork it and make
>> this small
>> change. The question is what is the best way to do that and ensure
>> continuity
>> with the previous versions. Can I (or someone else) take over the PyPI
>> entry in
>> question? Other suggestions?
>
> You cannot "take over" a project on PyPI. You can only fork the project
> with a new name. In fact, this has already been done:
>
> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/forked-path/0.1

Great, I'll start by trying that, I was hoping someone already had a
solution.

Thanks.