From: exphilip on
I have the same problem. The automatic window update informs me that Service
Pack 1 is available for update. Shortly into the process I also get error
code 800423F4.
In the thread above does [MS MVP] mean you work for Microsoft? Hope someone
from Microsoft is looking into this and addressing this thread, which it
makes sense to keep as one, I would agree

From: MowGreen [MVP] on
No, MVPs do NOT work for Microsoft. They are volunteers who assist
others - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx

0x800423F4 VSS_E_WRITERERROR_NONRETRYABLE
The writer experienced a non-transient error. If the backup process is
retried, the error is likely to reoccur.

VSS is the same as System Restore in XP. The following page describes
VSS in Vista -
System Restore in Windows Vista
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/vista.html

IF you've made no changes to nor disabled System Restore then suggest
you contact MS for free support in getting SP1 installed:

http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-us&x=8&y=6&prid=11274&gprid=500921

> Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for Windows Vista, but only for
> Service Pack 1 (SP1). This support for SP1 is valid until March 18, 2009. Availability of chat or
> e-mail support differs depending on your geographic location. For customers residing in North America
> or Canada, chat and e-mail support is available.
>
> Some issues may require more advanced support for which there is a charge.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten