From: Gerry Myerson on
In article <i3vfhi$82q$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
James Waldby <no(a)no.no> wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 11:48:40 +1200, Ken Pledger wrote:
> > Bart Goddard wrote:
> >> A few minutes ago, I was honored by a phone call from one of our local
> >> news stations. [...] Their informant was using [...] "millions of
> >> dollars", but [...] the actual number of dollars is 1.4 million.
> >>
> >> So his question [...] was whether it was appropriate to say "millions"
> >> if one did not have at least 2 of them. And since 1.4 < 2, he though
> >> his source might be overstating his case.
> >> Is 1.4 million dollars "millions of dollars"? ....
> >
> > Since the 1.4 is likely to be approximate anyway, why not
> > just say "over a million"?
>
> Obviously, the appropriate phrase depends on what needs to be
> highlighted or hidden. :)
>
> Cheap at the price: "just barely over a million", "a mere million
> and change"
>
> Neutral / ambiguous: "low 7 figures", "about $1.4 million",
> "over $1 million", "under $2 million"

My annual income is in 7 figures. Of course, that's counting
the ones after the decimal.

--
Gerry Myerson (gerry(a)maths.mq.edi.ai) (i -> u for email)
From: Jesse F. Hughes on
Gerry Myerson <gerry(a)maths.mq.edi.ai.i2u4email> writes:

> My annual income is in 7 figures. Of course, that's counting
> the ones after the decimal.

My annual income is also in 7 figures, but I have to count the
decimal as well as the two digits following.

--
Jesse F. Hughes
"I think the burden is on those people who think he didn't have
From: quasi on
On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 23:44:41 -0400, "Jesse F. Hughes"
<jesse(a)phiwumbda.org> wrote:

>Gerry Myerson <gerry(a)maths.mq.edi.ai.i2u4email> writes:
>
>> My annual income is in 7 figures. Of course, that's counting
>> the ones after the decimal.
>
>My annual income is also in 7 figures, but I have to count the
>decimal as well as the two digits following.

Me too -- except I need the $ sign as well.

quasi
From: achille on
On Aug 12, 12:53 pm, quasi <qu...(a)null.set> wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 23:44:41 -0400, "Jesse F. Hughes"
>
> <je...(a)phiwumbda.org> wrote:
> >Gerry Myerson <ge...(a)maths.mq.edi.ai.i2u4email> writes:
>
> >> My annual income is in 7 figures. Of course, that's counting
> >> the ones after the decimal.
>
> >My annual income is also in 7 figures, but I have to count the
> >decimal as well as the two digits following.
>
> Me too -- except I need the $ sign as well.
>
> quasi

If you are not happy with your annual income, just
ask your boss to pay you in Vietnam dong, it will
happily bump up you income for 3 figures!

-3 at or after decimal places (in $)
+4 before decimal places (in VND, 1$ = 19,090 VND)
-1 the $.
+3 the VND

It is too bad Zimbabwe has suspended their currency
indefinitely since April 2009. Otherwise, it should
be easy to add 5-6 figures to one's income.
From: Bart Goddard on
"Jesse F. Hughes" <jesse(a)phiwumbda.org> wrote in

> Gerry Myerson <gerry(a)maths.mq.edi.ai.i2u4email> writes:
>
>> My annual income is in 7 figures. Of course, that's counting
>> the ones after the decimal.
>
> My annual income is also in 7 figures, but I have to count the
> decimal as well as the two digits following.

I don't. But I'm paid in binary.

--
Cheerfully resisting change since 1959.