From: Benji Z-Man on
On 22/04/10 12:46, Bit Twister wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 02:44:25 GMT, Benji Z-Man wrote:
>>
>> Then shut up already. I haven't even been involved in the "ntp" debate
>> and I'm already sick of you. You said you're done with it, and have made
>> /more/ posts on the thread you said you were going to kill.
>>
>> So just do it and move on already.
>
> Please, please, do not feed the troll.
> Just kill file him.

Meh. First I see of him is his whining. I think I'll take that advice.
From: David Schwartz on
On Apr 21, 12:56 pm, Sidney Lambe <sidneyla...(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:

> Why are there so many idiots on the Usenet who think
> everyone has to argue with them endlessly if they feel
> like it?

It's not about arguing. It's about preventing the spread of harmful
misinformation.

> I said what I have to say on the NTP subject. If anyone
> disagerees, I couldn't care less.

Nobody cares whether you agree or disagree. That's not what this is
about.

> Certainly no fatheaded geeks are going to bully me
> into taking their ignorant  advice, although there are
> a couple of them here who obviously think they
> are going to do just that.

Nobody cares what you do.

The point is that bad advice, if followed, leads to bad results.
Nobody particularly cares whether one idiot continues on with his
idiocy. What we do care about is that an idiot's idiocy not be spread
to non-idiots who may not recognize idiocy for what it is.

Obviously, you're not going to convince the idiot. He will persist in
his idiocy forever, as that's what idiots do. But the much larger
number of non-idiots will see the idiocy for what it is. Forcing the
idiot to expose his idiocy so that non-idiots don't follow him is the
goal.

Trying to persuade an idiot is idiocy.

DS
From: Sidney Lambe on
On comp.os.linux.networking, Sidney Lambe <sidneylambe(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:
> Why are there so many idiots on the Usenet who think
> everyone has to argue with them endlessly if they feel
> like it?
>
> I said what I have to say on the NTP subject. If anyone
> disagerees, I couldn't care less.
>
> Certainly no fatheaded geeks are going to bully me
> into taking their ignorant advice, although there are
> a couple of them here who obviously think they
> are going to do just that.
>
> Some people just never grow up.
>
> I am killing this thread. I will be reading no replies
> to this post.
>
> Sid

From my kill-log. Call for idiots and they come running <snicker>

Score -767 killed article <8d6eb307-cc90-41e9-9c02-6cc8b23ca0cc(a)a39g2000prb.goog
legroups.com>
Score 200: Reply to Me
Score 33: Fatheaded Technocratic Bully
Score -2000: References
Newsgroup: comp.os.linux.networking
From: David Schwartz <davids(a)webmaster.com>
Subject: Re: Usenet Idiots

Pooe Robert. I won't bow down to his superior intellect and
awesome technical expertise (just ask him) and it's driving
him nuts. (I haven't even bothered reading most of his posts to
me, truth be known.)

You have to watch these Fatheaded Technocratic Bullies. They want
your OS to be as complex as possible so that you have to rely
on them to keep it running. It's jerks like this who are partly
responsible for all the bloat in Linux. For turning Linux into a
Window's clone.

Not too long ago Linux would fit on a dozen floppies.

I ignore the Fatheaded Technocratic Bullies and my Linux, the
raw OS, fits on a single CD with _lots_ of room to spare. It is
maintenance-free and utterly secure.

Ol' Robert says that you need to run ntp. Well, I've got a LAN
here (that includes a newsserver and FTP server that are on the
Internet, although accessible only after registration by email)
that doesn't use it and it runs smooth as silk, has for years.
The only time it has been 'down' is when a huge storm knocked out
the Internet in our area. It is maintennce=free.

So he's obviously wrong. But people like him don't let reality
get in their way.

I've heard what you have to say, Robert. No, you may not tell me
the same thing over and over again. You are boring.

Sid

From: unruh on
On 2010-04-22, Sidney Lambe <sidneylambe(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:
> On comp.os.linux.networking, Sidney Lambe <sidneylambe(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:
> Ol' Robert says that you need to run ntp. Well, I've got a LAN

Nope you do not have to run ntp. You can let your time drift, and every
few months reset it when it really starts to bother you.
Or you can, as you do, use rdate, and suffer the worst of all possible
worlds. Or you can run ntpd and have your system keep time to better
than ms and be stable in time even when the network goes down, and not
have to worry about big backward steps which can lead to weird
behaviour. Up to you. Or up to the other users. As I have said, you have
my permission to run your system anyway you want (You seem to want it by
constantly telling us what you do). But when you advise others, I will
point out the difficulties in what you advocate.

> here (that includes a newsserver and FTP server that are on the
> Internet, although accessible only after registration by email)
> that doesn't use it and it runs smooth as silk, has for years.
> The only time it has been 'down' is when a huge storm knocked out
> the Internet in our area. It is maintennce=free.

And? You think that is not true of people using ntp?

> So he's obviously wrong. But people like him don't let reality
> get in their way.

He's wrong about what? He never said "you need to run ntp". That is your
imagination. However if you want your system to keep good time, ntp is a
very useful program. (Actually I like the chrony version of an ntp
client/server better than ntpd, but on the level of this conversation,
the difference between the two is small).

> I've heard what you have to say, Robert. No, you may not tell me
> the same thing over and over again. You are boring.

And yet you keep coming back arguing with what you think he says. Your
boredom seems easily overcome.

From: Benji Z-Man on