From: David Kaye on
"David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>No, Usenet is n't an ASCII system.

You're wrong. Usenet is a 7-bit ASCII system. Now, there is a fudge called
UUENCODE designed to make 8-bit look like 7-bit so it will pass over the 7-bit
Usenet system, but the traffic is still 7-bit ASCII. That means NO character
codes greater than 127.

Here's the wiki entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet

Here's SPECIFIC information about how names are supposed to be transmitted
over Usenet from RFC 1036, one of the Usenet design standards:

"Full names may contain any printing ASCII characters from space through
tilde, except that they may not contain "(" (left parenthesis), ")" (right
parenthesis), "<" (left angle bracket), or ">" (right angle bracket).
Additional restrictions may be placed on full names by the mail standard, in
particular, the characters "," (comma), ":" (colon), "@" (at), "!" (bang), "/"
(slash), "=" (equal), and ";" (semicolon) are inadvisable in full names."

Read more: http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1036.html#ixzz0gU6PBCSj

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "David Kaye" <sfdavidkaye2(a)yahoo.com>

| "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>>No, Usenet is n't an ASCII system.

| You're wrong. Usenet is a 7-bit ASCII system. Now, there is a fudge called
| UUENCODE designed to make 8-bit look like 7-bit so it will pass over the 7-bit
| Usenet system, but the traffic is still 7-bit ASCII. That means NO character
| codes greater than 127.

| Here's the wiki entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet

| Here's SPECIFIC information about how names are supposed to be transmitted
| over Usenet from RFC 1036, one of the Usenet design standards:

| "Full names may contain any printing ASCII characters from space through
| tilde, except that they may not contain "(" (left parenthesis), ")" (right
| parenthesis), "<" (left angle bracket), or ">" (right angle bracket).
| Additional restrictions may be placed on full names by the mail standard, in
| particular, the characters "," (comma), ":" (colon), "@" (at), "!" (bang), "/"
| (slash), "=" (equal), and ";" (semicolon) are inadvisable in full names."

| Read more: http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1036.html#ixzz0gU6PBCSj

Your problem...

it fails to interpret strings like...
=?windows-1256?B?5iBFNzIg4+Qg5eTHIOPMx+TH?=

and thus you think it is giberish and NON-ASCII.

--
Dave

From: David Kaye on
"David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>Your problem...

This is NOT MY PROBLEM. My News Xpress reader fully complies with the RFC
which governs Usenet. It's the problem of people who are using non-ASCII and
flaky non-complying software. Usenet wouldn't exist and certainly the
Internet wouldn't exist if it didn't have STANDARDS. Usenet has a standard,
established back in 1987. Usenet's standard works.

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "David Kaye" <sfdavidkaye2(a)yahoo.com>

| "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>>Your problem...

| This is NOT MY PROBLEM. My News Xpress reader fully complies with the RFC
| which governs Usenet. It's the problem of people who are using non-ASCII and
| flaky non-complying software. Usenet wouldn't exist and certainly the
| Internet wouldn't exist if it didn't have STANDARDS. Usenet has a standard,
| established back in 1987. Usenet's standard works.

The messages are in FULL COMPLIANCE.

Your news reader is failing to intepret these Country/Language dependent ASCII codes.

I have no problem viewing them in Outlook Express (except in the subject line) and in
Windows Mail.

--
Dave