From: Eduardo on
Ralph escribi�:

> If you want to avoid the disadvantages of an invisible
> ActiveX Control then use an 'regular' ActiveX component instead.

Sorry about my ignorance: What are the disadvantages of an invisible
ActiveX Control in front of a 'regular' ActiveX component?

AFAIK all ActiveX must be registered, so it must be something else.
From: Ralph on

"Eduardo" <mm(a)mm.com> wrote in message news:h8bjk8$rbd$1(a)aioe.org...
> Ralph escribi�:
>
> > If you want to avoid the disadvantages of an invisible
> > ActiveX Control then use an 'regular' ActiveX component instead.
>
> Sorry about my ignorance: What are the disadvantages of an invisible
> ActiveX Control in front of a 'regular' ActiveX component?
>
> AFAIK all ActiveX must be registered, so it must be something else.

Essentially it comes down to over-head. Here two "disadvantages".
1) All that extra code - Property Bag, etc.
2) A UserControl requires a container, and though is invisible at runtime
still assumes a visual presence at design-time. So you can't declare one in
a Class object for example. (Also one of McKinney's complaints)
[This nuance is illustrated by Webbiz's latest post "duplicate UC during
Runtime".]

-ralph

From: Ralph on

"Ralph" <nt_consulting64(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

"So you can't declare one in a Class object for example."

Well, not quite true. You can, but then you have to go find a container for
it somewhere. Or re-enginneer with additional interfaces - but at that
point - why bother? <grin>

-ralph

From: Eduardo on
Ralph escribi�:
> "Eduardo" <mm(a)mm.com> wrote in message news:h8bjk8$rbd$1(a)aioe.org...
>> Ralph escribi�:
>>
>>> If you want to avoid the disadvantages of an invisible
>>> ActiveX Control then use an 'regular' ActiveX component instead.
>> Sorry about my ignorance: What are the disadvantages of an invisible
>> ActiveX Control in front of a 'regular' ActiveX component?
>>
>> AFAIK all ActiveX must be registered, so it must be something else.
>
> Essentially it comes down to over-head. Here two "disadvantages".
> 1) All that extra code - Property Bag, etc.
> 2) A UserControl requires a container, and though is invisible at runtime
> still assumes a visual presence at design-time. So you can't declare one in
> a Class object for example. (Also one of McKinney's complaints)
> [This nuance is illustrated by Webbiz's latest post "duplicate UC during
> Runtime".]
>
> -ralph

OK, if there were an upgraded version of VB, I would suggest to keep the
invisible objects as they are now, but add the capability of creating
them without the need of a container.

You are right (and McKinney), it should be possible to add an standard
VB timer to a class, for example.

From: Tom Shelton on
On 2009-09-10, Eduardo <mm(a)mm.com> wrote:
> Ralph escribi�:
>> "Eduardo" <mm(a)mm.com> wrote in message news:h8bjk8$rbd$1(a)aioe.org...
>>> Ralph escribi�:

>>> Sorry about my ignorance: What are the disadvantages of an invisible
>>> ActiveX Control in front of a 'regular' ActiveX component?
>>>
>>> AFAIK all ActiveX must be registered, so it must be something else.
>>
>> Essentially it comes down to over-head. Here two "disadvantages".
>> 1) All that extra code - Property Bag, etc.
>> 2) A UserControl requires a container, and though is invisible at runtime
>> still assumes a visual presence at design-time. So you can't declare one in
>> a Class object for example. (Also one of McKinney's complaints)
>> [This nuance is illustrated by Webbiz's latest post "duplicate UC during
>> Runtime".]
>>
>> -ralph
>
> OK, if there were an upgraded version of VB, I would suggest to keep the
> invisible objects as they are now, but add the capability of creating
> them without the need of a container.
>
> You are right (and McKinney), it should be possible to add an standard
> VB timer to a class, for example.

They already put all of that in the next version - you just won't use it. You
are like McKinney - he dropped vb when it moved to version 6.0.

--
Tom Shelton