From: Jim D. on
Is there a way to get Excel 2007 to treat cell coordinates as Cartesian
coordinates instead?

I'd like to be able to input fill colors into cells using x/y numbers

I know I could set up to columns. . . X and Y. . . and then enter in my
numbers under them. And from there I could even create an XY Scatter Chart.
That much I've figured out but I'd like to take this to the level where the
output of this wouldn't be a chart but a specific cell location on a
worksheet itself.

I'd like for the entire sheet to become a big Cartesian grid in itself.

I don't know if I need to approach this from a VB Coding perspective, or if
Excel has something similar already built in that will get me close. It seems
as if it would.

If anybody has any ideas I'd like to hear them.

Take Care, and Thanks if you can help,

Jim

From: Bernard Liengme on
Hope I am reading your question correctly:
In A1: D3 I have this data
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12
The formula =INDEX(A1:D3,2,3) returns the value 7
So does =INDEX(A1:D3,F1,G1) when F1 have value 2 and G1 has value 3.

best wishes
--
Bernard Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP