From: Dan Sinclair on
Hi Guys,

I'm very new to Ruby, so please bare with me!

I'm trying to make a ruby script that runs a command/executable. The
command/executable is native to Mac OS X 10.5 and 10.6. It's the
sendmail command (found in /usr/sbin/sendmail). The script I have so far
is this:

###################################

when "email"
begin
job_media = ENV['job_media']
job_reason = ENV['JOB_REASON']
e_address = get_node_value('post-action-e-address')
eeemail(job_media, job_reason, e_address)
end

###################################

def eeemail(job_media, job_reason, e_address)

RECIPIENT = dan(a)boxer.co.uk
MEDIA = blah
REASON = job_reason
SUBJECT = "Engine Admin - Job #{REASON}"

exec("/usr/sbin/./sendmail #{RECIPIENT} << EOF
From: "Episode Engine" <noreply(a)example.com>
Subject: "#{SUBJECT}"

"Job #{MEDIA} has #{REASON}"
EOF")

end

###################################

This script will run when a piece of software my company sell, finishes
a task. The main thing I'm not getting to work is the:

exec("/usr/sbin/./sendmail #{RECIPIENT} << EOF
From: "Episode Engine" <noreply(a)example.com>

"Job #{MEDIA} has #{REASON}"
EOF")

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Dan

From: Aldric Giacomoni on
Dan Sinclair wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I'm very new to Ruby, so please bare with me!
>
> I'm trying to make a ruby script that runs a command/executable. The
> command/executable is native to Mac OS X 10.5 and 10.6. It's the
> sendmail command (found in /usr/sbin/sendmail).

Why not let Ruby do it all?
http://gemcutter.org/gems/mail

From: Dan Sinclair on
Aldric Giacomoni wrote:
> Dan Sinclair wrote:
>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> I'm very new to Ruby, so please bare with me!
>>
>> I'm trying to make a ruby script that runs a command/executable. The
>> command/executable is native to Mac OS X 10.5 and 10.6. It's the
>> sendmail command (found in /usr/sbin/sendmail).
>
> Why not let Ruby do it all?
> http://gemcutter.org/gems/mail

...because not all of my customers will have this installed, and as i
recall from looking at that before, you need to have an SMTP server set
up too...whereas if i use the sendmail command, it's already to go with
Mac OS X...

Regards,

Dan

From: Dan Sinclair on
Dan Sinclair wrote:
> Dan Sinclair wrote:
>> Aldric Giacomoni wrote:

>>> Why not let Ruby do it all?
>>> http://gemcutter.org/gems/mail
>>
>> ...because not all of my customers will have this installed, and as i
>> recall from looking at that before, you need to have an SMTP server set
>> up too...whereas if i use the sendmail command, it's already to go with
>> Mac OS X...
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Dan
>
> sorry...my bad...looks like i ddin't read up on that specific ruby mail
> add on...it would still be easier however for my customers to not need
> to install something else.
>
> Regards,
>
> Dan

...no no my bad on my bad....lol. It DOES need an SMTP server
configured.

Regards,

Dan

From: Dan Sinclair on