From: Luiz Horacio on
Hi,

I have an old app written in VB6 and wanted to change it to a web-based
application, something that could be run in any browser, in any Windows
version.

Would I need to get it written from scratch? Is there any other possibility?

Thanks,

--
Luiz Horacio

From: Nobody on
"Luiz Horacio" <lhoracio(a)iname.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have an old app written in VB6 and wanted to change it to a web-based
> application, something that could be run in any browser, in any Windows
> version.
>
> Would I need to get it written from scratch? Is there any other
> possibility?

You can turn it into ActiveX control or DLL.

From: Mayayana on
| I have an old app written in VB6 and wanted to change it to a web-based
| application, something that could be run in any browser, in any Windows
| version.
|
| Would I need to get it written from scratch? Is there any other
possibility?

You didn't say anything about what the software
does. The normal way to do it as a webpage these
days, if you want it to run in any browser and on
any Windows version, is AJAX, which is basically
glorified javascript combined with the XMLHttpRequest
object to provide interactive continuity.

You can compile an ActiveX control, as Nobody said,
but that can only run in IE, it won't run unless signed
(you'd need a digital certificate) and unless ActiveX
is enabled.

If the program only needs to run locally you could
write an HTA, but that, also, only works in IE. (It's
hosted by mshta.exe, but it's really just an IE browser
window with no security restrictions.)

Someone might be able to offer better advice if you
explain what your program does and why it needs to
be converted.

From: Nobody on
"Mayayana" <mayayana(a)invalid.nospam> wrote in message
> You can compile an ActiveX control, as Nobody said,
> but that can only run in IE, it won't run unless signed
> (you'd need a digital certificate) and unless ActiveX
> is enabled.

True, but another option that I was alluding to is ActiveX DLL called by ASP
pages using VBScript. This requires that the server be a Windows server, but
the browser could be anything. Another very similar option is IIS
Application. When starting VB6, inspect the other options that the wizard
shows in the same window that defaults to "Standard EXE". There are
walkthroughs and help in MSDN about this.

From: Cor Ligthert[MVP] on
There was a great VB6 application I was very enthusiastic about it (IIS
application).

However, it is/was very buggy I thought that in 1999 was told there was no
further support on it.

In my perception I saw it later back as a complete new product line for
Internet.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/191039

Cor