From: Ryan H on
Put this in a standard module.

Function CountPeriodsInCell(rw As Long) As Integer

CountPeriodsInCell = Len(Cells(rw, "I")) - _
Len(Application.Substitute(Cells(rw, "I"), ".", ""))

End Function

Then in any cell type "=CountPeriodsInCell(3)"
3- represents the row you want to calculate in Col. I

You will then see the number of periods in Range("I3")

Hope this helps! If so, let me know, click "YES" below.

--
Cheers,
Ryan

From: Rick Rothstein on
Give this a try...

Function CountDots(S As String) As Long
CountDots = UBound(Split(S, ".")) - (Len(S) = 0)
End Function

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)