From: Vanessa Ezekowitz on
On Fri, 2 Oct 2009 06:13:18 -0700 (PDT)
saehn <shanefell(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry, I see now that I may have been a bit unclear. The "text" part
> of EBGM was only to achieve a blocky 80x50 pixel mode, with each cell
> being capable of two colors. So, in 640x200 mode, each 8x8 color cell
> would contain two "software" pixels, each being comprised of 8x4 real
> pixels. Does that make more sense? What Vanessa is describing seems
> like it might work.

Yeah, that would work - better would be to use 8x4 cells instead, then each
"pixel" gets its own byte of attribute memory (as long as you don't further
sub-divide the cells as previously mentioned).

--
"There are some things in life worth obsessing over. Most
things aren't, and when you learn that, life improves."

From: lyricalnanoha on

On Sat, 3 Oct 2009, Errol Smith wrote:

> adric22 wrote:
>> I also created a program that put the VDC into a mode where the color
>> cells were 8x2 in size. Then I filled the left 4 pixels of each cell
>> and created a 160x100 graphics mode that allowed any of the 16 colors
>> to be used and placed next to each other. I had theorized that it
>> might even be possible to create a 160x200 graphics mode with some
>> tweaking which would allow importing of C64's multi-color bitmaps
>> (such as koala) but I never got that far.
>
> I've heard of this, a similar mode was used on IBM CGA adapters as well to
> make a 160x100 16 colour mode. (Actually, the VDC and CGA have a lot in
> common, the modes are produced in an identical fashion).
>
> 160x200 is theoretically possible but would require some timing tricks. A
> mode like this is used in the RFO VDC demo to display an FLI like image,
> although it is not full screen height.
>
> Errol

Am I not right in saying the VDC is a descendent of the 6545 used in the
PET? And that's a clone of the 6845 used in the CGA. So it's not even a
coincidence - they're actually fairly closely related.

-uso.
From: Rick Balkins on
Loosely, yes.

It is technically a CGA/Digital RGB type video chip but I doubt the VDC is
an actual "CGA clone"

"lyricalnanoha" <lyricalnanoha(a)usotsuki.hoshinet.org> wrote in message

> On Sat, 3 Oct 2009, Errol Smith wrote:
>
>> adric22 wrote:
>>> I also created a program that put the VDC into a mode where the color
>>> cells were 8x2 in size. Then I filled the left 4 pixels of each cell
>>> and created a 160x100 graphics mode that allowed any of the 16 colors
>>> to be used and placed next to each other. I had theorized that it
>>> might even be possible to create a 160x200 graphics mode with some
>>> tweaking which would allow importing of C64's multi-color bitmaps
>>> (such as koala) but I never got that far.
>>
>> I've heard of this, a similar mode was used on IBM CGA adapters as well
>> to make a 160x100 16 colour mode. (Actually, the VDC and CGA have a lot
>> in common, the modes are produced in an identical fashion).
>>
>> 160x200 is theoretically possible but would require some timing tricks. A
>> mode like this is used in the RFO VDC demo to display an FLI like image,
>> although it is not full screen height.
>>
>> Errol
>>

> Am I not right in saying the VDC is a descendent of the 6545 used in the
> PET? And that's a clone of the 6845 used in the CGA. So it's not even a
> coincidence - they're actually fairly closely related.
>
> -uso.

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Stan Schembri has passed away