From: Al Viro on
On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 01:56:33PM +0300, Artem Bityutskiy wrote:
> From: Artem Bityutskiy <Artem.Bityutskiy(a)nokia.com>
>
> This patch introduces 3 VFS accessors: 'sb_mark_dirty()',
> 'sb_mark_clean()', and 'sb_is_dirty()'. They simply
> set 'sb->s_dirt' or test 'sb->s_dirt'. The plan is to make
> every FS use these accessors later instead of manipulating
> the 'sb->s_dirt' flag directly.
>
> Ultimately, this change is a preparation for the periodic
> superblock synchronization optimization which is about
> preventing the "sync_supers" kernel thread from waking up
> even if there is nothing to synchronize.
>
> This patch does not do any functional change, just adds
> accessor functions.

Applied and pushed. It's in for-next, which should do until Linus
comes back and picks it...
From: Artem Bityutskiy on
On Thu, 2010-06-10 at 13:56 +0300, Artem Bityutskiy wrote:
> Hi Linus,
>
> would it be possible to add the following patch to your tree. I'm trying
> to lessen amount of useless wake-ups in the kernel, and the 'sync_supers'
> thread if one of those kernel threads which wakes up every 5 seconds to
> (mostly) do nothing.
>
> This is still work in progress, but putting the below patch to your tree
> would make life easier at the next merge window. This patch just adds 3
> accessor functions, but no one will use them so fare, so it must be
> harmless. This was suggested by Ted and supported by Al:
> http://lkml.org/lkml/2010/6/9/216

Linus,

I wonder, you did not take this because of the vacation or because you
do not like it?

--
Best Regards,
Artem Bityutskiy (Артём Битюцкий)

From: tytso on
On Mon, Jul 05, 2010 at 04:04:27PM +0300, Artem Bityutskiy wrote:
> Linus,
>
> I wonder, you did not take this because of the vacation or because you
> do not like it?

I'd suggest resending the patch to Linus.

- Ted
From: Andrew Morton on
On Fri, 9 Jul 2010 18:27:37 -0400
tytso(a)mit.edu wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 05, 2010 at 04:04:27PM +0300, Artem Bityutskiy wrote:
> > Linus,
> >
> > I wonder, you did not take this because of the vacation or because you
> > do not like it?
>
> I'd suggest resending the patch to Linus.

this:

: commit 140236b4b1c749c9b795ea3d11558a0eb5a3a080
: Author: Artem Bityutskiy <Artem.Bityutskiy(a)nokia.com>
: Date: Thu Jun 10 13:56:33 2010 +0300
:
: VFS: introduce s_dirty accessors

was merged into mainline a few days ago?
From: Artem Bityutskiy on
> On Fri, 9 Jul 2010 18:27:37 -0400
> tytso(a)mit.edu wrote:
> this:
>
> : commit 140236b4b1c749c9b795ea3d11558a0eb5a3a080
> : Author: Artem Bityutskiy <Artem.Bityutskiy(a)nokia.com>
> : Date: Thu Jun 10 13:56:33 2010 +0300
> :
> : VFS: introduce s_dirty accessors
>
> was merged into mainline a few days ago?

Yeah, it was merged. Now I'm patiently waiting for Al's response for the
rest.