From: Toinet on
What a work. It is tremendous. It is wonderful. I congratulate you for
your hard work. The design document is worth reading!

antoine
From: jirvine on
On Mar 31, 9:11 am, DaveSchmenk <dschm...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Enjoy,
>         Dave Schmenk
>         March 31st 2010, 11:59:59 PM

Considering the date in the announcement, this is very fishy!

From: BLuRry on
On Mar 31, 2:11 pm, DaveSchmenk <dschm...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Class filenames are missing the ".class" suffix due to filename
> limitations, however the file type of $ED is used to identify class
> files and are given the type identifier of JVM.  System classes are in
> the JAVA/* subdirectories.  Apple II specific classes are found in the
> APPLE2/ directory.  VM02 specific classes are found in the ORG/VM02/*
> subdirectories.

Cool! So if the JACE virtual filesystem concept worked for VM02,
then .class files should surface with file type $ED -- any aux type
needed or do I leave that as $0000? Only major kink is that JACE
virtual filesystem doesn't support writes. Is it possible to have
VM02 have a configurable block device (say /RAM on slot 5) for memory
read/write? Would be rather funny to run a java program that emulates
an apple which turns around and runs another java program. Or would
that be sick? Not sure. But it would be fun all the same. :-D

Thanks for all the work you put into this!

-Brendan
From: DaveSchmenk on
On Mar 31, 8:59 pm, BLuRry <brendan.rob...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 31, 2:11 pm, DaveSchmenk <dschm...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Class filenames are missing the ".class" suffix due to filename
> > limitations, however the file type of $ED is used to identify class
> > files and are given the type identifier of JVM.  System classes are in
> > the JAVA/* subdirectories.  Apple II specific classes are found in the
> > APPLE2/ directory.  VM02 specific classes are found in the ORG/VM02/*
> > subdirectories.
>
> Cool!  So if the JACE virtual filesystem concept worked for VM02,
> then .class files should surface with file type $ED -- any aux type
> needed or do I leave that as $0000?

I was using the AUX values when writing out the swap files but
Virtual ][ wasn't always returning the same value I wrote. Since I
was placing the reference count of the memory block in the AUX value
it caused real problems when this would come back as zero. So I don't
use the AUX value any more. In fact, the file type isn't required,
it's just used by the launcher to identify class files. You can try
and run any file type from the command line.

> Only major kink is that JACE
> virtual filesystem doesn't support writes.  Is it possible to have
> VM02 have a configurable block device (say /RAM on slot 5) for memory
> read/write?  Would be rather funny to run a java program that emulates
> an apple which turns around and runs another java program.  Or would
> that be sick?  Not sure.  But it would be fun all the same.  :-D

If the memory block comes up as a /RAM disk, then no problem. Also,
if you run the minimal versions, they won't do any writes unless the
class does. You can't run any of the larger classes (like Launcher
and TestCUI) because they require swapping.

> Thanks for all the work you put into this!
>
> -Brendan

Hope you get a chance to check it out,

Dave..
From: DaveSchmenk on
On Apr 1, 3:24 am, "Bill Buckels" <bbuck...(a)mts.net> wrote:
> "DaveSchmenk" <dschm...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> >Announcing version 1.0 of VM02, the Java compatible VM for 6502 based
>
> Apple II computers.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Bill
>
> --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: n...(a)netfront.net ---

You're welcome.

Dave