From: Dane Smith on
Kristian Gj�steen wrote:
> Dane Smith <dasmith6(a)cse.buffalo.edu> wrote:
>> What I am proposing is something where
>> each independent block encrypts to something different every time, even
>> in ECB mode where there is no IV.
>
> It is easy to see that the output must be bigger than the input for this
> to be possible. This means that you will be using more space for your
> randomness that you do in CBC mode (where the IV is the overhead).

This is true. The IV would have to be sent or stored, so there could be
some increase there though it would be constant while the other would be
proportional. Is that little bit of extra space necessarily bad though?

Dane
From: JR on
One could insert a random byte every n bytes. So it is possible. Is it
useful?

JR

muCtvp/fr/lo

"Will Dickson" <wrd(a)NOSPAM.glaurung.demon.co.uk> ???
??????:pan.2007.03.08.22.32.14.838283(a)NOSPAM.glaurung.demon.co.uk...

From: arsonperbuilding on
On Mar 8, 5:17 pm, Dane Smith <dasmi...(a)cse.buffalo.edu> wrote:

> But, assuming you have the same IV, then you still have the same output.
> IV's are normally associated with CBC mode in block ciphers, assuming Im
> not mistaken. What I am trying to describe is something that with the
> same exact input, key, IV, plaintext, would still be able to vary in output.
>
> Dane

Say you had an encryption function E(K,IV,m)=c and a decryption
function D(K,IV,c)=m.
If E(K,IV,m1)=c1 and E(K,IV,m1)=c2, where c1 != c2, how would your
decryption function know how to properly turn the ciphertext back into
proper plaintext?

From: Kristian Gj�steen on
Dane Smith <dasmith6(a)cse.buffalo.edu> wrote:
>This is true. The IV would have to be sent or stored, so there could be
>some increase there though it would be constant while the other would be
>proportional. Is that little bit of extra space necessarily bad though?

Unless there is some benefit, it is bad.

--
Kristian Gj�steen
From: Amitabh on
On Mar 9, 9:04 am, Kristian Gjøsteen <kristiag+n...(a)math.ntnu.no>
wrote:
> Dane Smith <dasmi...(a)cse.buffalo.edu> wrote:
>
> >This is true. The IV would have to be sent or stored, so there could be
> >some increase there though it would be constant while the other would be
> >proportional. Is that little bit of extra space necessarily bad though?
>
> Unless there is some benefit, it is bad.
>
> --
> Kristian Gjøsteen

Out of curiosity, can there exist a probabilistic symmetric encryption
scheme? (i.e. the IV need not be sent, some random number (IV) is used
for encryption but discarded after that.. only the key is used for
decryption.