From: arvkr on
Hello All,
Looking for some advice on how to detect if a vehicle is backing up
(reversing) using measurements from a 3 axis accelerometer and compass. I
also have accurate measurements of velocity from a wheel speed sensor.
Cheers
arvkr
From: Vladimir Vassilevsky on

arvkr wrote:

> Hello All,
> Looking for some advice on how to detect if a vehicle is backing up
> (reversing) using measurements from a 3 axis accelerometer and compass.

Forget about it.

> also have accurate measurements of velocity from a wheel speed sensor.

Connect to the rear lights.

VLV
From: Rune Allnor on
On 19 Mai, 22:44, "arvkr" <krarvind(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello All,
> Looking for some advice on how to detect if a vehicle is backing up
> (reversing) using measurements from a 3 axis accelerometer and compass. I
> also have accurate measurements of velocity from a wheel speed sensor.
> Cheers
> arvkr

You only need the wheel speed detector. Look at the sign of the speed:
Positive speed is forward; negative speed is reverse. Or vice versa.

Rune
From: Tim Wescott on
Rune Allnor wrote:
> On 19 Mai, 22:44, "arvkr" <krarvind(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello All,
>> Looking for some advice on how to detect if a vehicle is backing up
>> (reversing) using measurements from a 3 axis accelerometer and compass. I
>> also have accurate measurements of velocity from a wheel speed sensor.
>> Cheers
>> arvkr
>
> You only need the wheel speed detector. Look at the sign of the speed:
> Positive speed is forward; negative speed is reverse. Or vice versa.

Assuming that the wheel speed is signed, and not just a pulse train.

But yes, that's the way to do it. You can't really do it inertially
without aid from GPS or similar, and even then it's a huge research
project to get it going -- and it doesn't work if you're in a tunnel, or
parking garage, or what not.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com
From: Eric Jacobsen on
On 5/19/2010 2:01 PM, Vladimir Vassilevsky wrote:

> arvkr wrote:
>
>> Hello All,
>> Looking for some advice on how to detect if a vehicle is backing up
>> (reversing) using measurements from a 3 axis accelerometer and compass.
>
> Forget about it.
>
>> also have accurate measurements of velocity from a wheel speed sensor.
>
> Connect to the rear lights.
>
> VLV

I think a bunch of cameras on the roof pointed at the sky with a really
accurate celestial navigation scheme would work.

--
Eric Jacobsen
Minister of Algorithms