From: John Bischoff on
Gentlemen
Maybe I have the wrong venue, but than maybe one of you knowledgeable gents will
kindly enlighten me.
Last I heard, PGP provided pretty solid security. Is that still the case?
Is there anything better, and about as easy to use, these days?
I'll wish to encrypt a file up to several MB, and maybe a whole drive.
I'll wish to use it for two-way, friend-to-friend file sharing.
Naturally, the better the resistance to brute force the better.
Thanks, gents
John
From: Greg Rose on
In article <osmqq51kp6ttfictta03qaerek6861feee(a)4ax.com>,
John Bischoff <mingol(a)roadrunner.com> wrote:
>Last I heard, PGP provided pretty solid security. Is that still the case?

It is well studied, and backed by reputable
professionals. It is very solid, IMO. The company
I work for supplies it standard for all employees
(although many don't use it, or anything at all).
I use it on a daily basis, and have never had a
problem.

>Is there anything better, and about as easy to use, these days?

I hear good things about TrueCrypt, but PGP solves
my problems, so I've never felt a need to try it.

>I'll wish to encrypt a file up to several MB, and maybe a whole drive.

No problem with PGP.

>I'll wish to use it for two-way, friend-to-friend file sharing.
>Naturally, the better the resistance to brute force the better.

Brute force will not be a serious consideration
for a reputable product, so "better" isn't really
a meaningful thing here. Ease of use, flexibility,
stuff like that, should be used to determine
"better".

Greg.
From: George Orwell on
"John Bischoff" <mingol(a)roadrunner.com> wrote in message
> Gentlemen
> Maybe I have the wrong venue, but than maybe one of you knowledgeable gents will
> kindly enlighten me.
> Last I heard, PGP provided pretty solid security. Is that still the case?
> Is there anything better, and about as easy to use, these days?
> I'll wish to encrypt a file up to several MB, and maybe a whole drive.
> I'll wish to use it for two-way, friend-to-friend file sharing.
> Naturally, the better the resistance to brute force the better.
> Thanks, gents
> John

I'd opt for Truecrypt or even better, FreeOTFE.

FreeOTFE especially is so good that it's quietly being blocked or at
the least discouraged in certain European countries.

https://www.mixmaster.it

From: David Eather on
On 27/03/2010 11:19 AM, John Bischoff wrote:
> Gentlemen
> Maybe I have the wrong venue, but than maybe one of you knowledgeable gents will
> kindly enlighten me.
> Last I heard, PGP provided pretty solid security. Is that still the case?
> Is there anything better, and about as easy to use, these days?
> I'll wish to encrypt a file up to several MB, and maybe a whole drive.
> I'll wish to use it for two-way, friend-to-friend file sharing.
> Naturally, the better the resistance to brute force the better.
> Thanks, gents
> John

I agree with Greg Rose. PGP is pretty magic. If you want to use full
disk encryption I would suggest you *thoroughly* test your drive for
errors before encrypting. Also if you encrypt your drive you need to
make sure your backups are as secure as your computer drive is. I backup
onto resizeable PGP dynamic sized disks created on USB external drives.
Make sure to wipe free space on the USB drive after backups or
resizing. Alternatively, if you have lots of space for backup use fixed
sized virtual drives so you don't have to worry about wiping.
From: unruh on
On 2010-03-27, John Bischoff <mingol(a)roadrunner.com> wrote:
> Gentlemen
> Maybe I have the wrong venue, but than maybe one of you knowledgeable gents will
> kindly enlighten me.
> Last I heard, PGP provided pretty solid security. Is that still the case?
> Is there anything better, and about as easy to use, these days?
> I'll wish to encrypt a file up to several MB, and maybe a whole drive.

PGP is a message system. For simply encrypting files it uses one of a
list of standard encryption algorithms, and is not better or worse than
a standalone program that just does that encryption. The whole public
key infrastructure that PGP is based on is irrelevant for file
encryption.

> I'll wish to use it for two-way, friend-to-friend file sharing.

That is what ssh, scp, ssl is designed for.

> Naturally, the better the resistance to brute force the better.

That is not the problem. The problem is the key protection, which I
suspect will be terrible. Are you willing to give up your life to
protect your key? Are you willing to devote a single computer solely to
the task, which you wipe and reinstall every night? If not, brute force
is not the issue.

> Thanks, gents
> John
 |  Next  |  Last