From: Sal on
Hi, complete noob here. I have a dual boot system, Windows/Linux, on
which I generated my GPG key pair in Windows. After exporting both the
public and private keys and importing them into GPG on Linux, I get
the following message when trying to encrypt a message with myself as
recipient:

"It is NOT certain that the key belongs to the person named
in the user ID. If you *really* know what you are doing,
you may answer the next question with yes.
Use this key anyway? (y/N)"

Two questions:
1. What do I need to do so that I have the same level of trust on my
Linux public key as I had in the original Windows key?

2. If I change the password on one of the (private) keys will I still
be able to decrypt messages encrypted with the with the other (public)
key?

Thanks.

From: Paul Rubin on
Sal <here(a)softcom.net> writes:
> Hi, complete noob here. I have a dual boot system, Windows/Linux, on
> which I generated my GPG key pair in Windows....

comp.security.pgp is a better place to ask GPG questions; sci.crypt is
supposedly mostly about crypto algorithms, research, etc. But I'll try.

> Two questions:
> 1. What do I need to do so that I have the same level of trust on my
> Linux public key as I had in the original Windows key?

Use gpg --edit-key to mark the key as ultimately trusted. Check the
docs for the exact method, I don't remember the specifics.

> 2. If I change the password on one of the (private) keys will I still
> be able to decrypt messages encrypted with the with the other (public)
> key?

Yes.