From: willbill on
Virus/spyware that is good, yet small to download?

I've bought three current V/S packages and they all
seem to think that everone has high speed internet.

I use dialup and can't do an 8 hour download.

I'm know I'm OT for this newgroup, but please
post some useful suggestions and web addresses.

Thank you very much!

Bill
From: Yousuf Khan on
On 6/10/2010 9:56 PM, willbill wrote:
> Virus/spyware that is good, yet small to download?
>
> I've bought three current V/S packages and they all
> seem to think that everone has high speed internet.
>
> I use dialup and can't do an 8 hour download.
>
> I'm know I'm OT for this newgroup, but please
> post some useful suggestions and web addresses.
>
> Thank you very much!
>
> Bill

Try Avira Antivir, it's free for home use, just like AVG, but much
smaller. However, with dial-up, you'll have no choice but to wait, no
matter what you get.

Yousuf Khan
From: Del Cecchi on

"Yousuf Khan" <bbbl67(a)spammenot.yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On 6/10/2010 9:56 PM, willbill wrote:
>> Virus/spyware that is good, yet small to download?
>>
>> I've bought three current V/S packages and they all
>> seem to think that everone has high speed internet.
>>
>> I use dialup and can't do an 8 hour download.
>>
>> I'm know I'm OT for this newgroup, but please
>> post some useful suggestions and web addresses.
>>
>> Thank you very much!
>>
>> Bill
>
> Try Avira Antivir, it's free for home use, just like AVG, but much
> smaller. However, with dial-up, you'll have no choice but to wait,
> no matter what you get.
>
> Yousuf Khan

Many public libraries have high speed internet access. Perhaps you
can download to a thumb drive or if your computer is portable bring it
in.

From: Yousuf Khan on
On 6/12/2010 7:34 AM, Del Cecchi wrote:
> "Yousuf Khan"<bbbl67(a)spammenot.yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Try Avira Antivir, it's free for home use, just like AVG, but much
>> smaller. However, with dial-up, you'll have no choice but to wait,
>> no matter what you get.
>>
>> Yousuf Khan
>
> Many public libraries have high speed internet access. Perhaps you
> can download to a thumb drive or if your computer is portable bring it
> in.

The problem is that you can't go running to the library everytime there
is a virus scanner update (i.e. everyday). Even the small definition
files are huge for dial-ups.

I know what the OP is talking about completely though, as I am currently
staying in Bangladesh, and "high-speed Internet" in this country is
barely twice as fast as dial-up. I think my home broadband back in
Canada was as much bandwidth as most corporations get in this country.

Yousuf Khan
From: willbill on
Fri, 11 Jun 2010 23:55:15 +0600, Yousuf Khan <bbbl67(a)spammenot.yahoo.com> wrote:

> On 6/10/2010 9:56 PM, willbill wrote:
> > Virus/spyware that is good, yet small to download?
> >
> > I've bought three current V/S packages and they all
> > seem to think that everone has high speed internet.
> >
> > I use dialup and can't do an 8 hour download.
> >
> > I'm know I'm OT for this newgroup, but please
> > post some useful suggestions and web addresses.
> >
> > Thank you very much!
> >
> > Bill
>
> Try Avira Antivir, it's free for home use, just like AVG, but much
> smaller. However, with dial-up, you'll have no choice but to wait, no
> matter what you get.
>
> Yousuf Khan

Yousuf, thank you very much.

With System Suite 10 it was 108MB and it had to be done
without restart!

Decent writeup at wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avira

cnet is one place to d/l it. Maybe also tucows.
Started with cnet but canceled due to my weather.

"Only" 42MB, but as an .exe where I can restart. :)

I've got thunderstorms today and tomorrow so will
have to wait a while.

Bill