From: scott on
I wanted to confirm that the below solution worked for my issues as well, thanks.

I have inherited several visual basic 6 applications, and the organization just upgraded to office 2007, we were getting automation server errors, on the excel sheets the source would halt on .workbooks.open(, the sheet would open but everything would stop after that, I even did a on error resume next and the replaces in the sheet would process but you couldnt save the document. Also at times I would get a visual c++ runtime error on excel.exe.

This was not an easy solution to find, I have been searching high and low for a hint and priustori was the only one I found with it.

priustori wrote:

Method "Method 'Open' of object 'Workbooks' failed
13-Dec-08

In case someone else has this problem:

I had an Office 2003 application (Access-based) which automated Excel.
When the upgrade to Office 2007 was pushed, I got an error with
"Method "Method 'Open' of object 'Workbooks' failed" when running the
automation within a module, or "The server threw an exception" when
run from the debug window.

After much angst, troubleshooting, and google searching, it turns out
that it was the ApproveIt add-in for Excel... apparently doesn't play
well with being automated in 2007 (although I could open directly or
shell, couldn't automate it).

So, the moral of the story: if you get either of these errors, check
the add-ins. In retrospect it seems obvious, but since it was related
to the push, I was looking at many different things, none of which
were previously functional add-ins.

On Saturday, December 13, 2008 7:34 PM
priustori wrote:

[...]

WPF Binding Beyond the Limitation of Name Scopes
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/ef583104-e507-491d-b05f-49faac8854c8/wpf-binding-beyond-the-li.aspx
From: GS on
$0.02 in...
When we automate an instance of Excel from a VB6 app, no addins are
loaded. (XLAs nor COMAddins)

The only time you'd get addins is if you hijack the user's running
instance of Excel.

If ApproveIt was already in the Addins collection then all you need to
do is set its Installed property to TRUE.
--

on 6/2/2010, scott delk supposed :

Garry