From: Soulzityr on

Hey, I installed Microsoft Visual Studios 2008 and I love it so far.
However, I have a problem with using it for my Computer Science class,
which was my purpose for downloading it in the beginning.

I created a project to store all my homework assignments. Now for this
class, all of our homework assignments will only require a single source
code, which means every source file will have its own main()

When I debug to run, it runs the whole project, thus when I have
multiple source files in the project it says I have too many main(). How
do I run just a single source code in a file? My method right now is to
"exclude from project" every source file except the one I want to test,
however, I'm hoping there is a more efficient way to do this, as the
exclusion may be a little annoying once my project has many more
assignments for me to write.

Thank you ahead of time for the help. It would be greatly appreciated
as this is the only problem keeping me from using this program.

--
Soulzityr
From: Jeroen Mostert on
On 2010-01-15 20:44, Soulzityr wrote:
> I created a project to store all my homework assignments. Now for this
> class, all of our homework assignments will only require a single source
> code, which means every source file will have its own main()
>
> When I debug to run, it runs the whole project, thus when I have
> multiple source files in the project it says I have too many main(). How
> do I run just a single source code in a file? My method right now is to
> "exclude from project" every source file except the one I want to test,
> however, I'm hoping there is a more efficient way to do this, as the
> exclusion may be a little annoying once my project has many more
> assignments for me to write.

Right-click on the project, choose Properties. The Application tab has a
setting "Startup object". Pick one.

--
J.
From: Soulzityr on

Jeroen Mostert;1215232 Wrote:
> On 2010-01-15 20:44, Soulzityr wrote:> > >
> > > I created a project to store all my homework assignments. Now for
> > this
> > > class, all of our homework assignments will only require a single
> > source
> > > code, which means every source file will have its own main()
> > >
> > > When I debug to run, it runs the whole project, thus when I have
> > > multiple source files in the project it says I have too many main().
> > How
> > > do I run just a single source code in a file? My method right now is
> > > "exclude from project" every source file except the one I want to
> > test,
> > > however, I'm hoping there is a more efficient way to do this, as the
> > > exclusion may be a little annoying once my project has many more
> > > assignments for me to write.
> setting "Startup object". Pick one.
>
> --
> J.

Sorry, but I don't see this Application Tab >.> I'm running Microsoft
Visual C++ Express Edition

--
Soulzityr
From: Family Tree Mike on
On 1/15/2010 2:44 PM, Soulzityr wrote:
> Hey, I installed Microsoft Visual Studios 2008 and I love it so far.
> However, I have a problem with using it for my Computer Science class,
> which was my purpose for downloading it in the beginning.
>
> I created a project to store all my homework assignments. Now for this
> class, all of our homework assignments will only require a single source
> code, which means every source file will have its own main()
>
> When I debug to run, it runs the whole project, thus when I have
> multiple source files in the project it says I have too many main(). How
> do I run just a single source code in a file? My method right now is to
> "exclude from project" every source file except the one I want to test,
> however, I'm hoping there is a more efficient way to do this, as the
> exclusion may be a little annoying once my project has many more
> assignments for me to write.
>
> Thank you ahead of time for the help. It would be greatly appreciated
> as this is the only problem keeping me from using this program.

You should be creating multiple projects in one solution. Create a
single project, such as CS_2010.

Now whenever an assignment comes up, open this solution. Right click
"Solution 'CS_2010'" and chose add new project. Give it a name like
"Assignment01". Now, when you are working on "Assignment01", right
click it, and set it as the start up project.

--
Mike
From: Soulzityr on

Family Tree Mike;1215286 Wrote:
> On 1/15/2010 2:44 PM, Soulzityr wrote:> > >
> > > Hey, I installed Microsoft Visual Studios 2008 and I love it so far.
> > > However, I have a problem with using it for my Computer Science
> > class,
> > > which was my purpose for downloading it in the beginning.
> > >
> > > I created a project to store all my homework assignments. Now for
> > this
> > > class, all of our homework assignments will only require a single
> > source
> > > code, which means every source file will have its own main()
> > >
> > > When I debug to run, it runs the whole project, thus when I have
> > > multiple source files in the project it says I have too many main().
> > How
> > > do I run just a single source code in a file? My method right now is
> > > "exclude from project" every source file except the one I want to
> > test,
> > > however, I'm hoping there is a more efficient way to do this, as the
> > > exclusion may be a little annoying once my project has many more
> > > assignments for me to write.
> > >
> > > Thank you ahead of time for the help. It would be greatly appreciated
> > > as this is the only problem keeping me from using this program.

> single project, such as CS_2010.
>
> Now whenever an assignment comes up, open this solution. Right click
> "Solution 'CS_2010'" and chose add new project. Give it a name like
> "Assignment01". Now, when you are working on "Assignment01", right
> click it, and set it as the start up project.
>
> --
> Mike

ahh thank you very much :) :)

--