From: Stan Hoeppner on
Wietse Venema put forth on 4/24/2010 10:48 AM:

> Humor is OK provided that the receiving end does not feel ridiculed.

That's pretty much the reason I removed the humor before sending.

> In this case, I made my joke the end of a list of more serious
> explanations for the observed delays. That should make clear that
> the intent was to help with a smile, not to ridicule.

I found it both funny and refreshing, mainly because you don't engage in
humor very often here and thus it was unexpected. More please. :)

> Finally, I would appreciate it if you refrain from munging the
> Subject: line when responding to this mailing list. Do not prepend
> [pfx] tags, and do not post follow-ups without Re: prefix. I don't
> care what you do outside this mailing list.

With all due respect Wietse, the [pfx] tag was already in the subject when I
replied to _your_ message, because _you_ left [pfx] in there. It was
originally inserted by Charles Gregory. Below layeth the relevant evidence,
which apparently you hath misplaced. Additionally, I've checked all my
posts in my list archive and every single one has "Re:" at the front of the
subject. You hath confused me with another OP:

Subject: Re: [pfx] WHAT IS "probe" Mail Delivery Status Report
To: Postfix users <postfix-users(a)postfix.org>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 09:39:00 -0400 (EDT)
From: Wietse Venema <wietse(a)porcupine.org>

You apparently missed [pfx] in your reply to Charles; I missed it in my
reply to you. However, you are the Wizard of Postfix, and thus should be
more attuned to such matters of the realm. I am a lowly Orc OP. Thus, for
this unwarranted attack you hath engaged in upon me, I receiveth a +5000
armor bonus, and you receiveth a -2500 attack. I thus gain a +1250 parry
deflection defensive counter attack bonus, resulting in your sword gouging a
large dent in your +1300 chest plate armor, nearly penetrating it clean
through and piercing your blood pumper. Close call eh? ;)

Let this be a valuable lesson to all Wizards. Not all Orc OPs are weak
defenseless slobbering fools, no matter my appearance. ;)

--
Stan

From: Wietse Venema on
The Doctor:
> Speaking of humour, how can you support someone via e-mail
> when the e-mail system seens shot?

People with an inoperable mail system can join the mailing list
through some other email account.

Wietse

From: Charles Gregory on
On Sat, 24 Apr 2010, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> Subject: [pfx] Re: WHAT IS "probe" Mail Delivery Status Report

(sigh) Mea Culpa... I try to remember to remove my list sorting tags
when I reply...

But this time, honestly, I was a bit focussed on the appearance
that my system had suddenly and inexplicably started to send
'sendmail -bv' messages...

I wouldn't mind if they were from 'apache' or 'postfix', but
from 'root'? And the scattering of addresses is weird... Worrisome...

I was hoping that maybe someone had encountered this specific type of
event, perhaps some upgrade to postfix or another mail-related item that
would cause this....

- C