From: Joe Cool on
I need to be able to connect to a database on a remote SQL Server from
a .NET client using ODBC and Windows Authentication. I need to be able
to specify a Domain username and password to connect where the domain
username may or may not be the my currently logged in Domain username.
In other words, let's say I was logged into the username
DOMAIN1\user1. The username DOMAIN1\user2 has been added as a username
on the SQL Server. I would like to establish a ODBC .NET connection to
the remote server specifying the DOMAIN1\user2 username (and password
if needed, which I would suppose it is).

I have tried this with the connection string:

DataSource=servername;Initial Catalog=databasename;User
Id=DOMAIN1\user2;Password=password

And this fails to connect. All the exception message says is "Login
failed for user 'DOMAIN1\\user2'."
From: Tom Moreau on
Remove the User Id and Password from the connect string. Check out:
http://www.sqlteam.com/article/sql-server-connection-string

--
Tom

Thomas A. Moreau, BSc, PhD, MCSE, MCDBA, MCITP, MCTS
SQL Server MVP
Toronto, ON Canada
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Tom.Moreau

From: Joe Cool on
On Jan 13, 3:18 pm, "Tom Moreau" <t...(a)dont.spam.me.cips.ca> wrote:
> Remove the User Id and Password from the connect string.  Check out:http://www.sqlteam.com/article/sql-server-connection-string

You have miusunderstood my question. If I take out the username and
password and specify integrated security instead, the connection will
attempt to connect with my currently logged in domain username. I want
to be able to connect to a DIFFERENT domain username (different from
my currently logged in domain username) that had been previously
entered in the SQL Server's Security logins as a windows login.

From: Erland Sommarskog on
Joe Cool (joecool1969(a)live.com) writes:
> I need to be able to connect to a database on a remote SQL Server from
> a .NET client using ODBC and Windows Authentication. I need to be able
> to specify a Domain username and password to connect where the domain
> username may or may not be the my currently logged in Domain username.
> In other words, let's say I was logged into the username
> DOMAIN1\user1. The username DOMAIN1\user2 has been added as a username
> on the SQL Server. I would like to establish a ODBC .NET connection to
> the remote server specifying the DOMAIN1\user2 username (and password
> if needed, which I would suppose it is).

You can only log into SQL Server through Windows Authentication
with the user you are currently log into Windows as. There is *no* way
you can log into SQL Server as another Windows user.

Thus, to do this, you would need to impersonate that user in Windows, before
you event start to look at SQL Server. Whether you actually can do this,
I don't know, but I know that Windows has something called Run As, so
maybe. It would be a topic for different newsgroup anyway.

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

From: William Vaughn (MVP) on
Mr. Sommarskog is right. Unless you execute the application using Run As,
SSPI authentication picks up the credentials from the system--not the
ConnectionString.

William R. Vaughn
President and Founder Beta V Corporation
Author, Mentor, Dad, Grandpa
Microsoft MVP
(425) 556-9205 (Pacific time)
Hitchhiker's Guide to Visual Studio and SQL Server (7th Edition)
http://betav.com http://betav.com/blog/billva