From: Rick56 on
I am running Windows XP on a Dell Inspiron 9100 laptop. Whenever I try to
shut down or restart, I get a PROGRAM NOT RESPONDING message for something
called "WMS Idle". I click on the End Now button and the computer takes
forever to shut down. Sometimes the computer won't turn off at all. Is
there a fix for this problem?

Thanks. Rick.
From: Rock on
Rick56 wrote:

> I am running Windows XP on a Dell Inspiron 9100 laptop. Whenever I try to
> shut down or restart, I get a PROGRAM NOT RESPONDING message for something
> called "WMS Idle". I click on the End Now button and the computer takes
> forever to shut down. Sometimes the computer won't turn off at all. Is
> there a fix for this problem?
>
> Thanks. Rick.

See if any of the links in this google search help:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=wms%2Bidle%2Bxp&btnG=Search

One option is to do some clean boot troubleshooting to see what is
hanging up.
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310560

How to perform advanced clean-boot troubleshooting in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=316434

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User