From: RG on
If one was to track wait times for span of an hour, what should be an
acceptable wait percentage based on total waits for the following resources:

ASYNC_NETWORK_IO
CXPACKET
SLEEP_BPOOL_FLUSH
WRITELOG
PAGEIOLATCH_EX
PAGEIOLATCH_SH

Thanks in advance
From: TheSQLGuru on
There is to my knowledge no 'ratios' given as best practices between the
listed wait types. It has been my experience (which is VERY deep on this
topic) that it is almost always completely obvious which one(s) of the waits
is really the problem indicator.

I assume you are intimately familiar with SQL Server 2005 waits and queues
best practices article, right??

--
Kevin G. Boles
Indicium Resources, Inc.

From: Andrew J. Kelly on
Percentages are pretty useless by themselves. It is really the amount of
waits not the % that is most important. By the way Sleep_Bpool_Flush can for
the most part be ignored as it is a natural internal process. But one thing
you do want to pay attention to % wise is the ratio of signal waits to
resource waits so u know if the wait is caused by CPU pressure or the wait
itself.

--

Andrew J. Kelly SQL MVP
Solid Quality Mentors

From: Chris Wood on
Andrew,

I attended your PASS2009 session on file and wait stats and am implementing
your scheme currently. If I have got this right the signal waits are the
time spent, when you have the resources(threads) and are actually waiting
because of the wait rather than the time of issuing the function and it
actually starting. You mentioned that sometimes a wait will lose its
resource(thread) and have to wait to get another one before it could actual
perform what it wanted to perform. The signal wait was the time after
starting the wait and getting a resource.

If I have this right then in some circumstances the signal wait would help
to understand the reason for the original wait.

Chris

From: Andrew J. Kelly on
Chris,

You should have introduced yourself at the end of the session, it would have
been nice to say hi in person. I am not 100% sure I understand your
explanation but I think we are mixing a few terms so let me go over it
again. You imply that a thread is a resource and when it comes to waits
that is not quite accurate. When a task needs to be done it is assigned to a
thread on a scheduler. During the execution of that task if the thread has
to wait on a resource such as physical disk it starts tracking the time and
the thread gets pulled off the processor so another runnable thread can run.
When the resource, in this case the pages from disk are available the thread
must put back onto a scheduler to run again. The time it started the wait
until the time the resource was available is considered the resource wait
time. The time from when the resource was again available until it actually
gets scheduled onto the processor is considered the signal wait. The higher
the signal waits the more time it spent waiting to get onto a processor to
do the work. High signal waits typically indicate CPU pressure such as too
few cores for the given work load. But if you have tasks that keep getting
waits such as CXPacket waits you can also get lots of signal waits since the
threads may be swapped on and off the CPU a lot before it is all said and
done. So signal waits will happen on a busy system when you have other waits
since the threads will have to swap on and off. But very high signal waits
is usually a sign of too workload for a given number of cores where the
threads have to wait a while to get back on the procs after they were pulled
off. Hope that cleared it up and if not just ask again, eventually we will
have to give:).

--

Andrew J. Kelly SQL MVP
Solid Quality Mentors

"Chris Wood" <anonymous(a)microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Andrew,
>
> I attended your PASS2009 session on file and wait stats and am
> implementing your scheme currently. If I have got this right the signal
> waits are the time spent, when you have the resources(threads) and are
> actually waiting because of the wait rather than the time of issuing the
> function and it actually starting. You mentioned that sometimes a wait
> will lose its resource(thread) and have to wait to get another one before
> it could actual perform what it wanted to perform. The signal wait was the
> time after starting the wait and getting a resource.
>
> If I have this right then in some circumstances the signal wait would help
> to understand the reason for the original wait.
>
> Chris
> "Andrew J. Kelly" <sqlmvpnooospam(a)shadhawk.com> wrote in message
>> Percentages are pretty useless by themselves. It is really the amount of
>> waits not the % that is most important. By the way Sleep_Bpool_Flush can
>> for the most part be ignored as it is a natural internal process. But
>> one thing you do want to pay attention to % wise is the ratio of signal
>> waits to resource waits so u know if the wait is caused by CPU pressure
>> or the wait itself.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Andrew J. Kelly SQL MVP
>> Solid Quality Mentors
>>
>> "RG" <RG(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> If one was to track wait times for span of an hour, what should be an
>>> acceptable wait percentage based on total waits for the following
>>> resources:
>>>
>>> ASYNC_NETWORK_IO
>>> CXPACKET
>>> SLEEP_BPOOL_FLUSH