From: "Markus R." Keßler on
Hi all,

I'm working with "PCFile" (an M$ DOS based database system from Jim
Knopf / Button) for almost 20 years now, for managing my music CDs and
MP3 files. In the meantime I use PCFile in DOSBox or DOS-Emu under
Mandriva or use its source file, which is a dbase data base file in Open
Office, but I'd like to switch to a native Linux application which does a
similar job.

Well, of course I could write a database from scratch using Open Office
Base and write all the search and entry screens like

http://www.dipl-ing-kessler.de/temp/pcfile.gif

but I'd appreciate if there was a "ready to use" solution which could be
found somewhere. - Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
best regards,

Markus

--
/home/dimke/.pan2/signatur.txt
From: Adam on
Markus R. Keßler wrote:
> I'm working with "PCFile" (an M$ DOS based database system from Jim
> Knopf / Button) for almost 20 years now

I remember using PCFile at IBM in 1988. I liked it.

> for managing my music CDs and MP3 files.
[snip]
> but I'd appreciate if there was a "ready to use" solution which could be
> found somewhere. - Any ideas?

I couldn't find anything I liked for managing my MP3 files, so I
wrote my own bash script, which you're welcome to use and modify.
(In fact, you'll /have/ to modify that section near the top to
what's appropriate for your system.) It's not suited for audio CDs,
but works well for me for any CD/DVD where the directory and file
names give some idea of the contents. It's basically a fancy
version of "dump directory to disk," but with some useful features
added. Its output is several ordinary text files (one per
category), so searching can be done with 'grep' or any standard
utility or program that you like, under any OS. I'm not sure if
it's what you're looking for, but it's currently at:

http://mysite.verizon.net/adam707/acquire.txt

Comments, and especially improvements, from anyone are welcome!

Adam
--
adam seven zero seven AT verizon DOT net