From: Jonathan Fine on
Hi

I'm hoping to avoid reinventing a wheel (or other rolling device). I've
got a number of dependencies and, if possible, I want to order them so
that each item has its dependencies met before it is processed.

I think I could get what I want by writing and running a suitable
makefile, but that seems to be such a kludge.

Does anyone know of an easily available Python solution?

--
Jonathan
From: Chris Rebert on
On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 1:53 PM, Jonathan Fine <jfine(a)pytex.org> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm hoping to avoid reinventing a wheel (or other rolling device).  I've got
> a number of dependencies and, if possible, I want to order them so that each
> item has its dependencies met before it is processed.
>
> I think I could get what I want by writing and running a suitable makefile,
> but that seems to be such a kludge.
>
> Does anyone know of an easily available Python solution?

http://pypi.python.org/pypi/topsort/0.9
http://www.bitformation.com/art/python_toposort.html

Cheers,
Chris
--
http://blog.rebertia.com
From: Aahz on
In article <U_idnaxONvb9x07WnZ2dnUVZ8kmdnZ2d(a)brightview.co.uk>,
Jonathan Fine <jfine(a)pytex.org> wrote:

>I'm hoping to avoid reinventing a wheel (or other rolling device). I've
>got a number of dependencies and, if possible, I want to order them so
>that each item has its dependencies met before it is processed.
>
>I think I could get what I want by writing and running a suitable
>makefile, but that seems to be such a kludge.

scons?
--
Aahz (aahz(a)pythoncraft.com) <*> http://www.pythoncraft.com/

--Bill Harlan
From: Jonathan Fine on
Chris Rebert wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 1:53 PM, Jonathan Fine <jfine(a)pytex.org> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I'm hoping to avoid reinventing a wheel (or other rolling device). I've got
>> a number of dependencies and, if possible, I want to order them so that each
>> item has its dependencies met before it is processed.
>>
>> I think I could get what I want by writing and running a suitable makefile,
>> but that seems to be such a kludge.
>>
>> Does anyone know of an easily available Python solution?
>
> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/topsort/0.9
> http://www.bitformation.com/art/python_toposort.html

Thanks Chris. Most helpful. I think I'll use that code (which will save
me at least half a day, and that for a solution that wouldn't be linear
time).

--
Jonathan
From: Jonathan Fine on
Aahz wrote:
> In article <U_idnaxONvb9x07WnZ2dnUVZ8kmdnZ2d(a)brightview.co.uk>,
> Jonathan Fine <jfine(a)pytex.org> wrote:
>> I'm hoping to avoid reinventing a wheel (or other rolling device). I've
>> got a number of dependencies and, if possible, I want to order them so
>> that each item has its dependencies met before it is processed.
>>
>> I think I could get what I want by writing and running a suitable
>> makefile, but that seems to be such a kludge.
>
> scons?

Thanks for the pointer. Looks interesting, but it may be a bit
heavyweight for what I need.

--
Jonathan