From: Didi on
On Jul 28, 5:55 am, D Yuniskis <not.going.to...(a)seen.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for ideas on good "complementary"
> flavorings to pair with *coconut* in ice cream.
>
> Keep in mind the nature of the tastes -- as well
> as textures.  E.g., "coconut - banana" wouldn't
> fare well as the banana flavor is too subtle
> to stand up against the coconut.
>
> So far, the best ideas I've come up with are
> coconut almond and coconut (chocolate) chip.
>
> While there is really no such thing as *bad*
> ice cream, the calories involved are such that
> I *really* don't want to be making too many
> "experimental batches"!  (figure 5,000+ calories
> per quart?)
>
> [so this doesn't degenerate into even *more*
> OT traffic, I probably won't reply to individual
> suggestions  :<  But, I'll post the results of
> any efforts I make in this regard.  Thanks, in
> advance!]
>
> --don

You are making it? I always thought it came out of
some kind of plastic boxes :-).
Too bad I am at the other side of the planet, I would
gladly help with some of the calories of your experimental
batches. No such thing as bad ice cream, to quote you :-).

Dimiter

From: J.A. Legris on
On Jul 27, 10:55 pm, D Yuniskis <not.going.to...(a)seen.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for ideas on good "complementary"
> flavorings to pair with *coconut* in ice cream.
>
> Keep in mind the nature of the tastes -- as well
> as textures.  E.g., "coconut - banana" wouldn't
> fare well as the banana flavor is too subtle
> to stand up against the coconut.
>
> So far, the best ideas I've come up with are
> coconut almond and coconut (chocolate) chip.
>
> While there is really no such thing as *bad*
> ice cream, the calories involved are such that
> I *really* don't want to be making too many
> "experimental batches"!  (figure 5,000+ calories
> per quart?)
>
> [so this doesn't degenerate into even *more*
> OT traffic, I probably won't reply to individual
> suggestions  :<  But, I'll post the results of
> any efforts I make in this regard.  Thanks, in
> advance!]
>
> --don

Coconut-banana is a natural. I suspect you are using too much coconut,
which is generally not possible unless you're using some horrible
extract or artificial flavour. Get a can of coconut milk or (gasp!) a
real coconut!

There are lots of south-east Asian foods that use coconut, for example
coconut-pumpkin, coconut mango.

--
Joe
From: 1 Lucky Texan on
On Jul 28, 6:20 am, "J.A. Legris" <jaleg...(a)sympatico.ca> wrote:
> On Jul 27, 10:55 pm, D Yuniskis <not.going.to...(a)seen.com> wrote:
>

> > Hi,
>
> > I'm looking for ideas on good "complementary"
> > flavorings to pair with *coconut* in ice cream.
>
> > Keep in mind the nature of the tastes -- as well
> > as textures.  E.g., "coconut - banana" wouldn't
> > fare well as the banana flavor is too subtle
> > to stand up against the coconut.
>
> > So far, the best ideas I've come up with are
> > coconut almond and coconut (chocolate) chip.
>
> > While there is really no such thing as *bad*
> > ice cream, the calories involved are such that
> > I *really* don't want to be making too many
> > "experimental batches"!  (figure 5,000+ calories
> > per quart?)
>
> > [so this doesn't degenerate into even *more*
> > OT traffic, I probably won't reply to individual
> > suggestions  :<  But, I'll post the results of
> > any efforts I make in this regard.  Thanks, in
> > advance!]
>
> > --don
>
> Coconut-banana is a natural. I suspect you are using too much coconut,
> which is generally not possible unless you're using some horrible
> extract or artificial flavour. Get a can of coconut milk or (gasp!) a
> real coconut!
>
> There are lots of south-east Asian foods that use coconut, for example
> coconut-pumpkin, coconut mango.
>
> --
> Joe

Yeah, coconut is typically a subdued flavor.

If you are just collecting ideas to try, how about toffee? maybe the
texture would hold up, plus nice buttery/caramel flavor.

A wild idea - cinnamon!
From: Peter Keller on
1 Lucky Texan <alckytxn(a)swbell.net> wrote:
> A wild idea - cinnamon!

That's not wild. Wild would be fish sauce, though if you do that I'd
simmer the coconut milk and fish sauce for a while to even out the
taste, then use it to make the ice cream. Hopfully the simmering won't
destroy the fat solids too much.

I'd use some red curry paste in the ice cream if it were me, but then again,
I'm insane.

Hrm, possibly coconut-basil ice cream? Could be awesome.

-pete
From: antedeluvian on
>That's not wild. Wild would be fish sauce, though if you do that I'd
>simmer the coconut milk and fish sauce for a while to even out the
>taste, then use it to make the ice cream. Hopfully the simmering won't
>destroy the fat solids too much.

I was told by someone way back in the mists of time (and in South Africa)
that sardines and condensed milk made for delicious eating. I could never
bring myself to try, but maybe substituting coconut milk for condensed
milk, and the sugar of the ice cream- who knows?