From: Per Jessen on
Peter Lind wrote:

> On 26 August 2010 08:08, Per Jessen <per(a)computer.org> wrote:
>> Tim Martens wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for all your answers. To clarify my question, I'm looking fo=
>>> advice regarding how best to set up users for a web app, e.g.,
>>> username.myapp.com vs myapp.com/username and the pros and cons of
>> each.
>>
>> Using username.myapp.com means defining that name in your DNS and
>> having a separate virtual host definition in your apache config.
>>
>=20
> While offtopic and nothing to do with PHP I think this should be
> corrected: you can set a *.yourdomain rule which matches all
> subdomains not explicitly set. So no, you do not need to define every=

> single name as a DNS record.

Good point. Not sure I would personally want to use wildcards, but it's=

perfectly valid.=20

--=20
Per Jessen, Z=C3=BCrich (17.7=C2=B0C)

From: "Bob McConnell" on
From: tedd

--
>>but I see flickr use the latter. The guys at Particletree (i.e.,
Wufoo)
>>wrote a blog post about it (
>>http://particletree.com/notebook/subdomains-development-sucks/) years
ago to
>>which they still attest.
>>
>>They say the subdirectory model is much easier and faster to develop
and
>>deploy. We are developing locally on our macs and will be using
>>Mecurial/Bitbucket for CVS.
>>
>>I'm really lost on this issue as all my searches turn up stuff on
SEO/SEM.
>>Is one approach easier that the other? What about security and
scalability
>>considerations? I would very much appreciate your opinions as to the
pros
>>and cons of each approach.
>>
>>As an aside, does anyone have some advice about rapid PHP deployment,
i.e.,
>>pushing new features to production daily in micro iterations vs the
typical
>>milestone approach? Are there any good tools for this? What about
hosts?

>>Thanks all,
>>
>>Tim
>
> Tim:
>
> My recommendations:
>
> 1. No framework. Learn one thing, namely what you want to do and not
> two (i.e., "what you want to do" and a "framework"). I did not know
> that Rasmus said that, but I listen to what he says.
>
> 2. Use directories. They are much simpler to use and easy to
> create/change/delete/scale/make-secure. -- SEO stuff does not apply
> here.
>
> 3. Investigate "Agile" development.
>
> 4. Host? Roll the dice like the rest of us.

Before you can select a hosting provider, define what you want. Are you
looking for a cage with power and network connections, a VM that you can
load up and manage, or a fully managed server environment? UPS or
generator? What about backup and failover? Do you need redundant network
connections? There is a wide range of options here that are not easy to
evaluate. We have used a variety of different hosts through the years as
our needs and requirements changed. Our current one is fully managed,
guarantees PCI compliance and is very expensive. But it is still less
than the FTE we would have to hire to do it all ourselves. We have more
than 100 client sites on that cluster of servers.

Depending on your size, it may be worth considering hiring a consultant
to walk you through this process the first time. It could save you a lot
of mistakes, time and money.

Bob McConnell
From: Tim Martens on
Thank you everyone for your generous feedback. It's given me a lot to think
about. I now realize that my question has as much to do with DNS and Apache
as with PHP. As we clarify the functionality and essence of the app, I'll
post again with more focussed questions.

Based on advice here and elsewhere, I think we're tending toward a an "no
framework" MVC approach and sub-directory model to get started. As Per so
elegantly stated "The subdirectory approach is easily rewritten to an
internal subdomain
structure." So if we need to pivot to a subdomain model we can do so.

Tim
From: Per Jessen on
Tim Martens wrote:

> Based on advice here and elsewhere, I think we're tending toward a an=

> "no framework" MVC approach and sub-directory model to get started. A=
> Per so elegantly stated "The subdirectory approach is easily rewritte=
> to an internal subdomain
> structure." So if we need to pivot to a subdomain model we can do so.=

Just to clarify - I meant rewritten as in Apache URL rewriting.=20

--=20
Per Jessen, Z=C3=BCrich (20.4=C2=B0C)