From: lkcl on
On Jun 10, 6:56 pm, Stephen Hansen <me+list/pyt...(a)ixokai.io> wrote:

> For example: if you want to embed a CSS-capable web-browser into your
> app? PyQT is actually your best option-- albeit a commercial one if
> you're not open source.. wx/Python haven't yet finished WebKit
> integration(*).

there are _lots_ other options that i know of. here are three of the
best:

* python-comtypes and wrap an IWebBrowser2 instance (out of MSHTML) -
you can get a win32 GDI "handle" id out of this: if you know what
you're doing, you could likely embed that into a gtk or qt app, just
in the same way as you can embed X11 "windows" into pygtk apps, by
knowing the X11 window "handle" id.

* python-xpcom and python-hulahop on top of xulrunner. hulahop is
the python "magic glue" between GTK and the XPCOM "access" interface
to the xulrunner web engine. hulahop allows the xulrunner engine to
be embedded as a python gtk "widget", whilst also giving you a handle
to the xpcom interface.

* pywebkitgtk - in its current released/stable form, it gives you
juuust enough to embed a web browser, but you can't actually get
access to any of the DOM functions (unlike hulahop/xpcom and comtypes/
MSHTML).

i'm recording all of these, and any other web browser manipulation
technology that i've ever encountered, here:

http://wiki.python.org/moin/WebBrowserProgramming

l.
From: Stephen Hansen on
On 6/12/10 9:20 AM, lkcl wrote:
> On Jun 10, 6:56 pm, Stephen Hansen <me+list/pyt...(a)ixokai.io> wrote:
>
>> For example: if you want to embed a CSS-capable web-browser into your
>> app? PyQT is actually your best option-- albeit a commercial one if
>> you're not open source.. wx/Python haven't yet finished WebKit
>> integration(*).
>
> there are _lots_ other options that i know of. here are three of the
> best:

Although I didn't state it or even hint at it, I thought it was implied
and obvious-- though obviously I was wrong ;-) Oops!

But my point and the discussion is grounded in, "and be cross platform",
because we're discussing GUI's in the context of Tkinter: which is
everywhere.

If someone doesn't need to target the Big Three with one code base, then
sure, the options you suggest may be very nice solutions for them.

I was more talking about an app which can run on windows, linux and OSX.

--

Stephen Hansen
... Also: Ixokai

From: lkcl on
On Jun 12, 6:14 pm, Stephen Hansen <me+list/pyt...(a)ixokai.io> wrote:
> On 6/12/10 9:20 AM, lkcl wrote:
>
> >  there are _lots_ other options that i know of.  here are three of the
> > best:

> > [list of browser engines cut for brevity]

> Although I didn't state it or even hint at it, I thought it was implied
> and obvious-- though obviously I was wrong ;-) Oops!

i just wanted to do a "completeness" thing. apologies, there.
From: Aahz on
In article <cf08e777-b98b-4b7c-96df-e7b127c029f8(a)y4g2000yqy.googlegroups.com>,
lkcl <luke.leighton(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> i'm recording all of these, and any other web browser manipulation
>technology that i've ever encountered, here:
>
> http://wiki.python.org/moin/WebBrowserProgramming

Neat! Why aren't you including Selenium/Windmill?
--
Aahz (aahz(a)pythoncraft.com) <*> http://www.pythoncraft.com/

"If you don't know what your program is supposed to do, you'd better not
start writing it." --Dijkstra
From: lkcl on
On Jun 13, 4:52 pm, a...(a)pythoncraft.com (Aahz) wrote:
> In article <cf08e777-b98b-4b7c-96df-e7b127c02...(a)y4g2000yqy.googlegroups.com>,
>
> lkcl  <luke.leigh...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > i'm recording all of these, and any other web browser manipulation
> >technology that i've ever encountered, here:
>
> >http://wiki.python.org/moin/WebBrowserProgramming
>
> Neat!  Why aren't you including Selenium/Windmill?

oooo. cos i'd neeeever not in a miiillion squillion years heard of
it. until now. loovelyy. ok. added selenium - now to look up
windmill.

thanks aahz.